Odd-shaped Pergola... Help with layout design!

Old 08-28-15, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odd-shaped Pergola... Help with layout design!

Alright, I am new to the forum but have found this site to be very useful with a lot of intelligent input!

I am looking to build a pergola on my patio to create more shade while having a nice looking structure. Most designs seem straightforward with a square structure (usually 8x8, 10x12, etc.). I'm being a little more difficult...

My patio is an odd shape that I would like to completely cover with a pergola. I called regarding permits and they indicated I don't have any restrictions other than height and overall yard coverage which isn't an issue. As you can see on the attached document (very rough idea), the layout is somewhat of an oblong pentagon. Do to landscaping around the patio, I plan to use post anchors directly on the cement using 6x6 posts. I included all measurements in the attachment to give an idea of how large I'd like the structure to be.

The area stressing me out most is connecting everything where the 45 degree angle starts (furthest from the house). I'm looking for any suggestions regarding the design and layout of the headers, joist, rafters, etc. once the posts are in place. The goal is to cover the patio as much as possible while keeping the center open a post-free. I don't have a problem building the structure but tend to over-think the planning process

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-15, 08:43 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Pergola

What is your question? How can we help?

Old 08-28-15, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As stated, I am looking for help on the layout/design on the headers/joints/rafters based on the current post layout I included on the picture (unless a different post layout is recommended). I understand the simple square structure of how to layout the top of the pergola but don't know the best route to take for where the patio starts going on an angle. I know other designs have the headers extending past the post... perhaps I extend the longest sides but just not the angled part? I just want to ensure it is sturdy, stable, and looks good by the end of everything.