Help with sidewalk installation

Old 08-29-15, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with sidewalk installation

First off, please excuse me but I'm new at this and this is my first attempt at forming and pouring a sidewalk. I live in a co-op and will be moving soon and need to replace a back walk as I once had a pool installed and had to tear out the sidewalk for it to fit the yard.

I attempted to form the area today. Photos below..

Name:  Sidewalk1.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  50.2 KBName:  Sidewalk2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  50.4 KB

The sidewalk does not need to be absolutely perfect but just there! I measured some neighbors walks and the dimensions are as follows:

Total length: 171" - three slabs at 57" each. The width of each slab is 30" total. I have my forms in place for those dimensions.

My biggest concern is how deep should I have to dig inside the forms? I'm only looking to pour the minimum amount of cement thickness for the walk in each of the sections.

I have some rocks to add to the inside of the forms to pour the Quickcrete on top (do they make a Quickcrete that already has the stones in it??) of but how much depth as far as they go do I need? There is maybe 4"-41/2" of depth within the forms. My plan was to simply coat the bottom of the ground inside the forms with a light layer then pour in whatever amount of concrete would fill the form section to the top.

Like I said, this doesn't have to be a professional job. I'm only looking to replace the walk as quickly and cheaply as possible so as to not get gigged on not having one and lose my security deposit.

Any advice on what is seen in the photos and for what I need to do would be appreciated. Again, not a pro and attempting this for the first time ever.

ps. Yes, I'm aware the fence is blocking the end of the walk. It doesn't matter as long as the full walk is there. The new tenants can choose to keep the fence as is or remove it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-15, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
It is very common to pour the thickness of your boards, about 3 1/2". I am more concerned that you mentioned bag concrete. Do you have a power mixer? While a small job it's a big job for bags of concrete mix if doing it by hand.

Old 08-29-15, 03:57 PM
1 80#b of conc mix = 2sf @ 4" thick OR, in your case, 17.813b geometrically,,, 1 guy can do that in a day w/wheelbarrow & conc hoe BUT its not an easy day,,, you'll likely 'feel' it the next day & for a few days later

usually sidewalks are placed even w/the surrounding ground - NOT on TOP of the ground,,, your slabs are too long - for a 30" width, no longer than 4' if you get any frost at all.

& don't worry - it won't be a professional job but that's ok - good luck !

Old 08-29-15, 04:04 PM
I did buy the divider pieces to put between the slabs but did not install them yet until I got the info from you fine folks!

No, I will be doing this using bagged concrete and a wheelbarrow. I'm not about to pay for a truck to come in. All I want is the walk to be there and poured when I turn in my key. That's all they require! Whether it cracks after I'm gone is the problem of the new tenants.

Yeah, I know I'm going to feel it! I'm all cramped up and sore today after just doing what i did with the framing!

Thank you fellas!

Old 08-29-15, 04:45 PM
you can't ( well, you COULD ! ) get a redi-mix truck as the minimum delivery's 5cy here in atl & you're only using 11.875cf,,, try adding in some ben-gay - NOT to the conc but on your back, joints, & muscles i don't see any need for expansion jnt mtl IF you pour in alternating sections - ' hopscotch ' so to speak,,, also easier on the body

Old 08-29-15, 04:55 PM
stadry, I really appreciate your help and tips here. What I'm actually going to try are those concrete mixing bags and mix the 80# concrete that way. Like I said, I don't give a damn what it looks like and am only trying to get it done cheaply and fast!

CEMENT SOLUTION Reusable Concrete Mixing Bag - Concrete Mixer Accessories - 1DPB3|101 - Grainger Industrial Supply

I did order a wheelbarrow but think I'm going to go the bag route to see how well it works. Directions say you can mix a bag in a minute so setting shouldn't be a problem if I need to mix more!

To make it all easier, I think I'm going to section the slabs off and pour that way. This way I can bag it, mix it, pour it, trial it, and move on!

Thank you again, I appreciate the help! Oh, the Ben-Gay will be standing by anyway just in case!

Old 09-03-15, 02:50 PM
Guys, one last question here as far as the expansion panels that will go in between the slabs is concerned.

I have several of these ready to go and want to pour the slabs in 40" increments. What holds the expansion panels in place while you pour the concrete in? Can I anchor them somehow?

I was also told that when I pour the slabs I should pour one, skip one, pour another, then return to the skipped slab. Make any sense?

Just trying to get all my ducks in order here before the weekend when I'm going to attempt to do this. HD has the concrete bags on sale now for under $3 a bag!

Old 09-03-15, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
You could place a board behind your expansion joints to provide continuous support. Then shovel dirt behind the board or drive in stakes to support it.

Old 09-03-15, 09:17 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You really should hire 2 guys to mix the concrete. Have a second wheelbarrow. Why do you want to mix that much concrete alone?