drainage and concrete slab under existing deck

Old 09-04-15, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drainage and concrete slab under existing deck

We're replacing an old deck at my daughters house. When we removed the deck we found a concrete slab patio under part of the deck ( the deck is larger than the slab). We don't want to remove the slab (too much work) but the slab slopes toward the house not away from it. This seems to me to be a drainage problem but I'm not sure how best to correct it. So my questions are: do we need to fix this and how should we fix it. We thought about setting some cinder blocks on the slab at the house foundation under the ledger and placing some corrugated metal roofing panels on the blocks to create a proper slope but may be there's a better way. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-15, 09:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 262 Votes on 237 Posts
The proper fix is probably to remove the slab and grade the area so it slopes away from the house. You could pour a new concrete patio on top of the old slab and slope it properly. Notice I'm not jumping on the idea of a Band-Aid fix that keeps the old slab sloping in the wrong direction.

Old 09-04-15, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How about concrete jacking where they pump a grout under the concrete to level it. In this case perhaps it could be used to level it or slope the slab away from the house. Access to the slab may be an issue. More costly but a more stable solution.

- Peter