Is this acceptable for premium grade deck wood?

Old 09-04-15, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this acceptable for premium grade deck wood?

I've been dealing with a shifty contractor. I paid extra for him to use "higher" grade wood. I took some pics of some of the posts, is this normal or should I be saying something?Name:  Deck (2).jpg
Views: 327
Size:  28.6 KBName:  Deck (3).jpg
Views: 368
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Deck (1).jpg
Views: 335
Size:  34.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-15, 10:52 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Those posts are unacceptable to me, they would only be ok in areas that are not seen but not where they are. I would make them change them and not pay them until they do.

Old 09-04-15, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Although #2 lumber is only graded on two sides, a decent contractor would have at least picked better posts without all the slabs. Also, measure your risers from the top of a tread to the top of the next one. What do you have?

Old 09-09-15, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure on the measurement you are asking for. There are a few more poles that all have this scarring on them. I"m not worried structurally, and I don't mind it too much, but I just wanted to know if that much scarring is normal from a contractor who promised high quality wood and charged more for it.

Old 09-09-15, 01:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
I think Larry was wondering about the step size and rise measurement to see if it follows code. How wide/deep the treads are and how high each is above the last.

The decking looks good to me as I've seen a lot worse. Since you paid a premium the contractor should have paid more attention the lumber and culled the suspect ones. I suspect he ordered the premium grade but then just nailed/screwed up whatever was sent out.