Paint or stain park benches

Old 09-07-15, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Paint or stain park benches

I have about 30 benches made out of pressure treated wood. We have been power washing then after they dried we would apply a stain. We would need to do this 1-2 times per year. Note that these are outdoors in Florida so lots of sun and heat (and rain in the summer).

We are thinking of power washing the best we can then apply a good oil based primer. Then apply a good latex paint.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-15, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
What type of stain are you using? it should last a few years.

Old 09-08-15, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Paint might last longer than stain but re-application is more work. I'd stick with stain and look at whether you could be using a better one.

Old 09-09-15, 03:43 PM
Name:  stain.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  49.7 KB
We used Olympic Stain as shown.

Old 09-09-15, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it waterbased or oil based? Oil base stains don't fare well in the intense fla sun

Since they state 6-8 yrs of life have you tried contacting the manufacture and see what they say?

Old 09-10-15, 04:38 AM
The label says "Penetrating Acrylic/Oil Formula - Easy Water Cleanup"

Contacting Olympic sounds like a good next step.

Thanks

Old 09-10-15, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The waterborne stains didn't come out until I was moving out of fla so I don't know how well they hold up to the fla sun, they do fare well here in tenn. I was shocked 38 yrs ago when I moved to central fla at how poorly oil base stains held up but yet latex stains did ok. Lest know what Olympic says.

Old 09-10-15, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's probably obvious; but if you have 30 such benches to do, I'd work with just one to finalize the technique and to make sure that the end result doesn't stain the clothing of the people who might sit on those benches,

As a Real Estate Broker, I've been in many situations where a house has had its outdoor furniture, lounges, and swings refreshed only to cause irritation with prospective Buyers when they sat down for a few moments while looking at the property. It doesn't leave a good impression.

Just 2 weeks ago, I attended a funeral in an none air conditioned stuffy church sanctuary and back of my shirt stuck to the 150 year old wooden pew, and stained it pretty thoroughly. I knew what was happening even while I was sitting there . . . . and was able to succeed in getting the wood stain out of the shirt with just a few hours of soaking (I think).

So, if it works good and doesn't bleed with that 1st bench, then you can get into mass production assembly line mode and do the remaining 29.

Just my 2

Old 09-28-15, 02:05 PM
Response from the manufacturer follows. We will follow this once our rainy season ends (if ever)

First, you will want use a good cleaner product, like the Olympic Deck Cleaner, and clean the benches thoroughly with a deck brush for roughly 10 min, then rinse completely with a mild pressure wash.

Then let it dry and sand lightly with 80 grit paper.

Finally, remove all dust with a tack cloth and apply 2 coats of your solid stain.

Old 09-28-15, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you don't want to buy their cleaner - TSP and bleach/water will work just fine .... probably a lot cheaper.