My Free Standing Pergola Design

Old 09-07-15, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Free Standing Pergola Design

So i've got this project i'm hoping to start this winter, before i can start pouring my footings i need to make sure my design/post layout will work. i think the picture i attach can pretty much some up everything.

its 24'x14'x10' high.

i plan on using cedar, 6x6 posts, 2x10 beams, 2x6 rafters, 2x2 lattice with C- notches to hold it all together and save on hardware and keeping my overall height to a minimum.

i didn't want to put a post in the middle of my window which is why i put the 2 post offset from it. this was my original idea because my HOA won't allow me connect it to my house or they will consider is an extended patio cover and is only allowed to be 10% of my houses foot print (roughly 120sqf), but a buddy of mine suggested only using 4 post 7' from the ends with a 10' span in between. i was worried about the lack of support on the outer ends of the structure, what do you all think?

Also i'm in the phoenix, arizona valley so direct sunlight and heat will pay a toll on the weathering of it.
hopefully the attached picture shows up.

Name:  Pergola Design0001.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  25.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-15, 06:50 AM
can anyone help me with this please? thanks

Old 09-12-15, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A few questions: your beams will be two 2x10 (total of 4) one on each side of posts? What foundation and how will posts be attached? Joists will be 14' long? Will posts extend up to top of rafters and be connected to rafters? How will rafters be attached to beams?

Old 09-17-15, 05:15 PM
Thanks CarbideTipped!
yes 2x10 one on each side of the posts, 4 total. im doing 18" deep x 12" wide concrete footings for the posts and using post anchors, not sure if posts need to be as high as the rafters but i can do that if they need to be. a buddy of mine suggested C-nothcing the beams and the rafters instead of attaching them via brackets. if they are both notched i don't see them going anywhere and ill be saving money by not having to buy alot of hardware. joists are beams right? they will be 24' long, rafters will be 14' for the most part.

Old 09-17-15, 05:58 PM
OK I think I understand. I meant rafters not joists, sorry.
If you notch the beams half the thickness of the rafters that turns the beams essentially into 2x8s. That should still be ok for 11 foot span, especially since they are doubled. You don't have any snow load to worry about.
I understand wanting to avoid hardware, but it's going to be a job cutting all those notches and getting them to line up and look decent.
One thing you need to think about is racking. Post anchors act pretty much like hinges when subjected to racking forces. I asked about running the posts up even with the rafters because then you could tie the rafters to the posts as well, and that provides some resistance against racking toward or away from the house. The beam attachment to the posts provides some resistance to racking from side to side. IIWM, I would add short 45 degree braces between the corner posts and the beams and from the corner posts to the adjoining rafters. This will make the whole structure a lot more rigid. Some people make these fancy so they become a design element, but they don't need to be.

Old 09-18-15, 01:31 PM
thanks again! yes i meant to say i was going to braces up for the posts, i admit i'm definately not looking forward to all the notching, i may change my mind down the road depending on how quickly i want to be done with it. what would you suggest attaching rafters to the beams if i don't notch? thanks again

Old 09-18-15, 04:57 PM
Hardware wise, you could use a hurricane clip like the Simpson H1 or rafter tie like H2.5. They would be bombproof. If you put them between the beams (install on beam ahead of time) they wouldn't be quite so visible. Or you could paint them after the fact. But I'd probably go with 8" timberlocks down through the rafter into the beam. Simple, fast, invisible, strong. You don't have to predrill but I probably would just to make sure it stayed centered. Or if you want to do a hybrid approach and notch the rafters but not the beam, then you could probably use 4" timberlocks. I think one per rafter end would be plenty. Good luck and have fun!