Can this raised deck be built for $20k?

Old 09-10-15, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can this raised deck be built for $20k?

Hi all.

I'm from MN and bought a new construction about 1 year ago. I have not put up a deck yet and didn't get around to it this year.

Wife sent me this picture and said she'd like something like this. The size looks about right for what we want.

Raised deck, about 16x20-25
Stairs to the lower level
Covered area under the deck with protection from rain/snow

currently just a 5x5 slab outside the walkout.

Thoughts on price if a contractor put this in vs I try to do it...?

Appreciate any help or ideas.

~Eric[

ATTACH]55921[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-15, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
What kind of wood - PT, cedar, IPE or composite? That alone will be a big spread in the cost.

Given that we can't see your house, we really can't give any cost information. Best bet is to get three or more local bids so you can compare and ask further questions here.

Old 09-10-15, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The terrain and local labor prices vary enough that it can also drastically affect the price, as mentioned above, get some estimates .... and check references before signing on the dotted line!

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 09-10-15, 12:33 PM
Material and labour rates can vary drastically based on location. Its not realistic for anyone not in your immediate area to speculate on a specific number. I can however tell you that generally speaking, material and labour are about 50% of the total cost respectively. So if you think you want to do this yourself, you can probably expect to save about half of whatever a contractor quotes you for the job.

Old 09-11-15, 08:20 AM
Thanks for your replies.

For some more context; the house the is your standard suburban 2-story with w/o. The backyard is flat, no bumps or dips. The deck would need to extend from the sliding patio door to the other side of the living room window.

Attached is the rear of the house pic from the appraisal.

As for materials.. $20k is somehow stuck in my head so whatever makes that work??? But my first thought was colored pressure treated wood... if cedar is cheaper, i could live with that too. I think composite would be too expensive.

I'm relatively handy, but the deck would be about 8-10 feet off the ground so that adds to the complexity.

Would you lay the slab underneath first and then tackle the footing? or do the footing first and then do the concrete around the footing?

Gratitude for your thoughts.

~EV

Name:  rear_home.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  44.0 KB

Old 09-11-15, 11:05 AM
Your posts will need to sit on sona tubes (at least 10" round) set below the frost line of your area (4' is a good rule of thumb for most mid to northern climates but check with your local building department).

After the posts are set, you can finish the ground level with a concrete pad or whatever you choose.

Speaking only from my experience in my location, $20k for a pressure treated deck seems really high, even with labour included. I would say off the top of my head there would be no more than $5k-$7K in materials in the actual deck. Cedar would be more expensive, and is considered a luxury material in my area. Composite will likely run 3 to 4 times the price of pressure treated.

Old 09-11-15, 05:49 PM
If you are going to have somebody build it for you I think your estimated cost is low if you want to include the deck, concrete pad and the screening. You might be able to get just the deck itself done by somebody for that price but that would be great pricing and would depend on how active building construction is in your area.

The good part of this project is that you can do the deck including the footings for it now and to the slab and the screening at a later time.

Old 09-11-15, 06:41 PM
To get an idea of price of materials you can go to the big box lumber store that starts with an L and do the deck design. At the end it will tell you every piece of material you need with a price.