Deck Design

Old 09-11-15, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Design

So I want to build a deck off an existing covered porch. The deck will house an outdoor kitchen. I am having some trouble figuring exactly how many footings I need. I am in KY. I do not want to attach it to the porch. I have attached pictures of the porch, and my rough design. I guess I am looking for feedback on how many footings I need, and any other suggestions. The porch is a little low to the ground in the back, so I may have to go with a step up onto the deck?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  19.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  22.3 KB

Couldn't get picture of the porch to attach, so here are links: Porch

And here is my inspiration for the kitchen: Kitchen inspiration

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-15, 12:09 PM
I'm also thinking now that I may need to lay the beams directly across the concrete feet. Any tips for that? Good way to attach the beams to the concrete assuming I double or triple my beams?

Old 09-11-15, 01:33 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Your one stop shop for all questions code related for decks.

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 09-11-15, 05:53 PM
Your layout of the supports looks about right. What do you mean by concrete feet? I hope you don't mean those little concrete piers that you sent on top of the ground, they are totally useless and definitely shouldn't be used if you want the deck to last. You need to pour concrete piers using sonotubes and they should go deep enough to be below the frost line. Depending on where you are in Kentucky that will be about 36 inches.

Looking at your pictures you may want to reconsider the idea of a deck and instead go with a new concrete slab one step down from your existing area. The deck will be awful low and won't have much clearance so it will be very susceptible to problems caused by rot and mildew. Texting to have sufficient clearance underneath them so they dry out.