beam overhang question

Old 09-12-15, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
beam overhang question

Hi all,
Got permits, concrete poured for stair landing, but there was one variance they gave me.

I'm replacing an old deck and reusing the beam post footings. Total span is 12' and the footings are 8' on center. Old deck stood for 30 years and the post and beams were in great shape. joists and top not so much, but I have faith in that old beam.

Inspector pointed out that having an overhang on each side exceeded the max overhang of L/4 (he said it was total overhang, not per side as the limit). But he allowed it since this deck is a "repair".

Plans call for a 2x8 double beam. I'm sure they won't mind if I up that to a 2x10 double beam. Question is: should I? It will be a pain to get the 2x10's but not impossible.

Summary: 6' joists with a 1' overhang. Beam is a 12' total length with posts 8' on center (2' overhang per side). 2x10 overkill or is 2x8 okay for the beam boards?

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-15, 02:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I he allows the variance 2x10 would be optimal, but 2x8 will span 8' easily. Finding 2x10x12 is not difficult. Here's some good reading for you to assist in your plans. http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standar...Guide-1405.pdf

Old 09-12-15, 06:02 PM
Thanks.

Finding it wasn't the problem it was getting it. All the lumber has been delivered so far and I can only get an 8' board home comfortably. However . . .

I forgot I ordered an extra 2x10 in case one was bad. I can use a 2x8 for the front rim joist and make a beam out of the other two. All three 2x10''s ordered are in really good shape (which is why I ordered from a pro lumber yard and not Home Depot).

So I will beef it up to the 2,2x10's. Got some PL Premium today and I have a ton of screws and nails. I really want this deck to outlive me.

Should be able to build the beam and get the ledger and posts done tomorrow.

My city has a guide based on that booklet, very similar and I used it for most of my plans. We use the older version of the guide -- still haven't adopted the new code yet. But the inspectors are pretty understanding here.

Old 09-14-15, 08:01 AM
Got the 2x10 beam built up and ledger board attached and flashed. Went pretty smoothly.

That 2x10 double beam is really strong. I had it lengthwise and sat on the flat side with no deflection. Used PL Premium and gun shot 3" galvanized nails in 3x strips.

Some advice for anyone else doing this: I laid out all my joist and post locations to deconflict holes and I did catch some. Nothing moving a little couldn't avoid, but I would have been in trouble had I not done the extra layout work.

Old 09-14-15, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Glad you were able to get it going right. Yeah, a good layout prior to driving nails, screws or even better carriage bolts will save a bunch of headaches.

Old 09-14-15, 05:11 PM
Just made a story stick with a 12' 2x8 I ordered (for blocking or to cut down if a joist is too warped). Should come in handy making sure joists stay straight and that hangers are in the correct spots. Also making some jigs to help drill carriage bolts straight and line up the joists properly on the ledger beam.

It's amazing how all those little details can make or break a project. Thankfully I have the time to do this one slow.