Best way to remove 3/4" from a patio screen door...

Old 09-19-15, 11:57 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to remove 3/4" from a patio screen door...

I bought a stock screen door for our porch and it was standard size (81"x36"). The problem is the door frame is 80.5". I want to take 3/4" off to give me a little wiggle room when I mount the door.

I have a Dremel door trimmer, but it only takes off 1/64" at a time. I also have a jig saw.

Is a jig saw a good choice for the choice, or would another tool be better? If I use the jig saw, should I buy a blade with a certain # of teeth/inch to reduce the risk of splintering the door as I cut?

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-15, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 597 Votes on 562 Posts
Is this an aluminum door ?

Old 09-19-15, 12:17 PM
H
I forgot there are some non-wood screen doors out there.

Mine is all wood.

Old 09-19-15, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it is a wooden slammer, score your line with a sharp blade, and use your jig saw (in lieu of a circle saw) to cut on the waste side of the line. If your jig saw has settings, set it at zero for oscillation and use a blade with 8 tpi or so. The scored line will keep the splintering down.

If it is an aluminum door, it is Saturday, drop back and punt. We'd need pictures.

Answers crossed in transmission.

Old 09-19-15, 12:45 PM
Received 138 Votes on 126 Posts
This is a good time to go out and buy a cxircular saw. A jig saw will not give satisfactory results. You'll clamp a piece of wood across the door as fence for the saw to glide against as you cut the bottom of the door.

Old 09-20-15, 09:19 AM
H
I DO have a circular saw, but I hadn't mentioned it because I thought it might be overkill in this case. Between the jig saw and circular saw, circular saw would be first choice, correct?

How many tpi would I need to cut the door frame if using a circular saw?

Norm, I have a device that clamps to wood and is adjustable that is designed to be used as a guide, so I'll definitely use that guide.

Chandler, I want to be clear on the cutting. If one side will look "rougher" than the other from the cutting, I want it to be the part that hits the door frame (i.e. the part that will face towards the screened-in porch).

With that being said, do I score both sides, or only one side? If one side, which side would I score?

And does it matter whether I trim the top or bottom of the door? Would one be more noticeable than the other?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-20-15, 10:43 AM
Andy, score only one side. Use your circle saw with at least 24 tpi. It won't matter on the bottom side as the teeth are moving mostly upward as a final cut. On top you will cut on the waste side of your score, so you will not have any boogers on the top side either. Trim the bottom of the door as it has a thicker section than the top and you don't want to weaken the top by cutting it.

Old 09-20-15, 12:39 PM
Received 138 Votes on 126 Posts
Agree with Chandler._________________________________________

Old 09-21-15, 01:18 PM
H
I think I have it now. The side that will be facing down as I cut will look the cleanest, but as long as I score the other side, I shouldn't get too much "chipping" (I'm using a jaw horse, so it will be clamped in place). I checked and have a 40 tpi blade, so I should be good to go. I also will be clamping a guide on the door so that I get a straight cut.

Thanks for the advice!

Andy

Old 09-21-15, 05:08 PM
Be sure to cut on the waste side of your score, and you will have almost no boogers. 40 tpi is boss.

Old 09-24-15, 05:25 PM
H
Chandler, what is considered the "waste side"? The side of the door you'd see when standing on the deck, or the side of the door you'd see when standing inside the screened in porch?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 09-24-15, 06:56 PM
The small 3/4" piece you plan to cut off is considered waste, since younwill discard it.

Old 09-26-15, 06:21 PM
H
I trimmed the door earlier today and scored it like you said. It turned out perfect. Thanks for the tips guys!

Andy