attach a sill board to the end of an I beam

Old 09-28-15, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attach a sill board to the end of an I beam

hey guys, i build decks for some friends and people who need the help in the area, this one deck is one i did not want at all so i gave him a quote stupidly high thinking he would never go for it but he did. and i am stuck at figuring out how to attach a 2x10 sill board to the end of 5 I beams he wants a deck built of a double wide trailer and the I beams are the only thing that as the strength to take to weight of the deck.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-15, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums Adam!

If I understand correctly you are wanting to attach the deck to the trailer ?? Building a free standing deck might be a better option.

Old 09-28-15, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
I'd go free standing as well.

Old 09-28-15, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welding flat steel plates to each I-beam would easily accomplish what you want to do. I'd use 1/2"-thick plates, oversized enough to enable all welding to be done downhand instead of out-of-position. With properly-sized holes in each plate for through bolts, the sill plate connections can easily be made.

If you don't have a mobile welding machine, you can hire a gypsy welder to do the job for you. After all, there's enough in the budget to cover his cost, yes?