seek advice on porch design

Old 10-02-15, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
seek advice on porch design

Hello! The back door of our house is 14" above concrete floor with a 7" high concrete step in front of it, please see the photos:

Name:  IMG_20151002_132638.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20151002_134137.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  36.4 KB

I am willing to build something like a porch myself, possibly with an awning and a small deck filling the corner between the window and the garage wall, but not sure what would be appropriate design for a house like this. Was wondering if there is a guide for building porches like this. Any suggestion/reference would be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes, h.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-15, 04:00 PM
Temporarily Suspended
That's a nice patio & it's maintenance free. I would pressure wash it, add a retractable awning & fill the section between the garage & window, with concrete. If you build a porch or a deck, you'll be working forever.

Old 10-02-15, 04:24 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
A turbo blaster nozzle on a pressure washer will make that slab look like new.
I agree no need for a deck.

Old 10-02-15, 05:20 PM
Thanks Pulpo and joecaption! I just thought that something like a porch was meant around the door -- if not, less work for me... Do you guys mean that it's fine when the door hangs 7-8" above the step? What would be the purpose of that L-shape area free of concrete by the garage and the window walls? Obviously, it's by design. Was it meant just for planter boxes? Thanks.

Old 10-02-15, 06:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A normal step ranges between 7 & 7 1/2 inches. The section near the garage could have been designed for plants. We'll never really know for sure. There is nothing wrong with it. If you like it, keep it. If not, remove it. It's all personal preference.

Old 10-06-15, 10:05 AM
Porch design

Hello, Harum,

Visually wise, try looking for inspiration on pinterest or similar sites. If you'll find something you'll like, then you can see how to adapt the design to your home's dimensions and budget.
Don't know if I am allowed, but here's what a simple search on pinterest can reveal in terms of back door porches: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...=porch%7Ctyped

Do we get to see the after photos?
Good luck!

Old 10-06-15, 04:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
7-8 inches is the same as another step. I don't see a problem. Are people falling into the house?