Preventing wood from rotting

Old 10-08-15, 09:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Preventing wood from rotting

I have to replace the pillars that support my front porch roof. They rotted at the bottom from snow & rain. My understanding is that pressure treated wood tends to twist & crack so I am going to use regular pine. Is there a treatment ( other than paint ) I can put on the wood to slow/stop rotting. I used to use a orduct that was green in color with the consistency of water. I am pretty it was called creosote. Not the same stuff they put on rail road ties though. I have not been able to find this product again. I used to soak the ends boards in the stuff over night and the wood held up good. The treated would will be covered by 1" x 6" painted pine so color isn't an issue

Thanks Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-15, 11:49 AM
J
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
They rotted out because they where not sitting on post bases that allows for drainage.
Those 1 X 6's need to be kept up off the decking and sealed on all sides our there also just going to rot out at the bottom.
I use 1X PVC so there's no rot or painting.

Old 10-08-15, 01:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
IMO you are better off using PT posts, if not PT it should be a naturally decay resistant wood like cedar, redwood or cypress.

Creosote was banned a long time ago.

Old 10-08-15, 02:21 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I used to use a orduct that was green in color with the consistency of water. I am pretty it was called creosote.
Copper naphthenate, out west one brand was called Marine Woodlife. Still seems to be available from doing a Google search.

Another product was pentachlorophenol which was the active ingredient in regular Woodlife. It was often called penta for short. I think it has been banned by the EPA because it was highly toxic to humans as well.

Creosote, most of which is a coal-tar derivative, was easily distinguishable by its extreme odor and black color. The best creosote treatment was with hot creosote but many thinned down products were available years ago. I don't think is currently available with the possible exception to certain industrial users.

Old 10-09-15, 07:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 64 Posts
Another vote for sticking with PT over regular pine.