deck seams or breaker board locatoin

Old 10-09-15, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck seams or breaker board locatoin

Name:  deck layout.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  34.6 KB

Question for you experienced deck builders. This is my first deck..it will be attached to house at 24' side, stairs going down away from house on left end where cutout is. As deck is wider than 24' I'll need some deck board seams, using trex or timbertech, max length I can buy is 20'. I'm thinking of putting a breaker board mid-way bewtween the main section of deck as shown, not sure I like the look, but can't think of other location that makes sense. What would you experienced deck builders do? open to suggestions.

Thanks,
J

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-15, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First thing is that I would at least consider making the deck free standing. Then I would probably just stagger the cuts and use two or three boards to span the width, like flooring inside the house or siding on the house.

Old 10-09-15, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm sure others will suggest you consider a free standing deck and not attach to the house; there are good reasons to do that.

But regarding your question, I'd probably put it where the notch is, since that's a "natural" break. Have you considered running the decking the other direction? Or, you could run the decking the other way only on the "tongue". It might look nice as kind of a pointer to the stairs. Another thing I've seen done that can look nice is to use a contrasting color to incorporate a shape into the deck as a decorative element. Perhaps a large diamond shape? That of course complicates the framing as the ends of the decking have to be supported. Speaking of which, if you are set on having that border board you will need extra support so the ends of the decking boards are supported.