Ideas on making a waterproof enclosure under my new deck?

Old 10-15-15, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas on making a waterproof enclosure under my new deck?

Hi,
I'm still early in the process (about to begin framing after my posts have been dug). The deck is about 6' deep, running 18' along the house. On one end I'd like to put door for storage - in particular, I'd like to store my generator and a couple of other items under the deck when not in use.

Because of that, I'd like maybe 4 or 5' of deck (running the 18' length) to be waterproof. I'll be pouring a concrete pad for the generator and I was thinking unless folks have another idea of perhaps putting a piece of T1-11 (sloping away from the house) for a roof over the concrete pad and under the deck a couple of inches. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-15, 09:38 AM
I've seen steel or aluminum roofing or polebarn siding attached to the bottom of the joists & terminating in a gutter used for that purpose.

Old 10-15-15, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
Stuff tends to fall between the deck boards so I like to see a gap between it and a roof underneath. It allows you to clean out the area periodically and allows some air circulation so the deck and framing above can dry.

If your pouring a pad just remember to follow the usual rules if you want it to be dry. If your space will be partially below grade you'll have some of the same issues as a basement when trying to keep water out.

Old 10-15-15, 02:12 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
T-111 will rot out in no time.
Use metal roofing.

Old 10-15-15, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Although it is not pertinent to your question, you mentioned it, and I would be remiss for not carrying forward. You don't dig holes for deck posts. You dig holes for sonotubes and concrete and place your posts on top using post bases. Maybe I read your post wrong, but I had to comment.

Using metal roofing turned upside down and fastened to slats across the area you want dry will allow the water to drain past the slats in the raised portion that would normally stick up on your roof. You will need to stagger the height of the slats as mentioned previously in order to give you a slope to run the water and bear poop off it.

Old 10-16-15, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys - it makes sense. I'll have the pad above grade, so no problems there. I'll get metal roofing and make sure I leave a gap for circulation and cleaning. And not to worry Larry, I wasn't clear in my post. I've poured the concrete (50 bags, I'm still sore after several days) and sunk bolts in the mix while wet. Yesterday I installed the post bases and did some leveling.

On to the next step!