Wobbly porch

Old 10-18-15, 07:50 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wobbly porch

Hello,

My husband and I have been building a porch on our house. We hired out to have the concrete poured and he specifically told them to be sure to weld the welding plates into the rebar.

Well... they didn't. Now we've built the structure out of steel and he's concerned about the amount of wobble in it if we get a good windstorm. Does anyone have any recommendations to button this down?

Thank you,
Becky

Old 10-18-15, 08:23 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
No idea without a picture.
Hard to picture where welding plates and rebar come into play with a porch without one.

Old 10-18-15, 08:30 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Remobec and welcome to the forum.
Not sure what you are referring to "welding plates". There are various anchors that are usually set into the concrete that elevate the bottom of posts above that concrete and bolt to the post to secure it. Google "anchor post to concrete slab" for examples.

Pictures, as joe asked, would help and how far along are you?

Bud

Old 10-18-15, 09:36 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As the 2 previous posters have said we really don't know what's going on until we see a picture of what you have. Also some drawings of what's embedded into the concrete would be extremely helpful. I've never heard of using steel for a deck, if this something that's normal in Texas or is this just a special situation?

Old 10-18-15, 09:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Old 10-18-15, 10:07 AM
R
Thank you for your replies. I had the hardest time trying to get pictures. They would not upload to the forums. Can everyone access these pictures? remobec's Library | Photobucket

It's 2x2 tubing that was used to create the porch structure. I'm not sure if it's steel--I'd have to check with my husband. The rebar is in the concrete.

Old 10-18-15, 10:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
I would call that an enclosed patio. I think many of us were thinking a wood deck.

How is the plate at the bottom of the posts attached to the concrete? I couldn't tell from the pic - is it bolted into the concrete? if so, how long are the bolts?

Old 10-18-15, 12:39 PM
R
It has half inch rods that are welded to the bottom of the plate that extend 12 inches down into the concrete and are bent at the very bottom and jagged into the concrete. It was set that way into the concrete.

Old 10-18-15, 01:12 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
By looking at what you have and based on your description of how the plates are put into the concrete I don't believe the wobbling is caused by those plates. That's really small tubing that the frame is made out of and they are probably flexing, you would need to put in some diagonal bracing to keep that from happening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: