Deck trim -- hardwood over PT boards

Old 10-19-15, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck trim -- hardwood over PT boards

I have a hardwood (cumaru) band board to put around my PT frame of the deck. I am definitely screwing and plugging it, but I'm also debating gluing it as well.

In the framing stage, I had good luck with PL Premium for the beam and scab reinforcements. Really strong stuff and good initial tack. I barely needed clamps to hold it before nailing.

I'm weighing the structural benefits of having the hardwood permanently bonded to the PT lumber (making the outer band much stronger) versus the wood movement worries. The cumaru will likely only expand (kiln dried) while the PT wood will likely only shrink or stay put. It was KD as well but is obviously wetter than the cumaru. Even when they stabilize, I'd imagine the PT will swell and shrink more than the hardwood.

If the PL can move enough to accommodate the movement, then I wont' worry about it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-15, 10:35 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue or no glue, I don't see how it makes the PT lumber any stronger than it is already. It doesn't add any support. I wouldn't bother with the glue, if I did it, at all.