Best way to build a new deck

Old 10-28-15, 04:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to build a new deck

Hello, I figured I would ask for some advice on the best way to build a new deck under the rear cover in the back of my house. I plan to remove the existing deck.

I would like to have the deck width and length be the same as the overhang so that i can screen it in. (so the deck would come out and end between the columns) Being in the south on the gulf coast i doubt i could get away with tongue and groove flooring so I will have to figure out another way to mosquito proof the floor.

I would move the A/C to sit on the deck in the corner.

The columns that support the overhang are 4x6 posts warped in 1x material. They are anchored to concrete footers.

Any advice would be great.

Name:  IMAG1825.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  36.5 KBName:  IMAG1829.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  40.1 KBName:  IMAG1828.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  28.2 KB

Old 10-28-15, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First figure the headroom at the outside point. I don't think you will have a decent amount at the outside, probably less than 6'. Hence the steps rather than a deck from the get go. The condensing unit cannot sit on the deck under cover and be effective, nor be compatible with having it screened in. So a new location would be best that allows for full air circulation. Once the old deck is removed as well as the siding from that point down, you can attach a ledger board across. It would be best to cut the 1x material away from the 6x6's to where your band boards can be fastened to them rather than to the 1x. This will help when replacing the 1x in the future due to damage, etc. Do you know how deep the footers are for the column posts. Being in Louisiana, you don't have the frost depth in most areas, but I would suspect 12" to be adequate.

Others will chime in with more information, and we can suggest other changes as you go.

Old 10-28-15, 05:46 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Easy enough to to use a piece of string pulled tight on top of that existing deck then measure up from that to get an idea on how much head room is there now.
You can gain a maximum of 7" by lowering the new deck. (normal step height)
They make composite T X G decking that looks like the old style 5/4 X 2 or 4" decks, even comes in gray.

Old 10-28-15, 06:14 AM
D
The footers were 24"-36" deep I put them in like 10 years ago just don't remember which.

Old 10-28-15, 06:39 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yeah, headroom is going to be the biggest challenge. Following the siding, the roof line at the posts would only provide around 5 ft of headroom. Looks to be at the bottom of the porch light next to your door. Even lowering the deck by one step probably won't make much of a difference.

Old 10-28-15, 07:01 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Thinking outside the box, Make the new porch lower by 7" and only have it come out to the point where there's still at least 6'8" head room.
Build the wall up from there.
Leave the ceiling sloped.
Use PVC beaded soffit to cover the ceiling.
The over hang on the roof would help make the deck have more shade, and reduce the amount of splash back on the deck. And keep you from having to cut the roof back or mess with the coloums.
That A/C unit could be pulled straight out from where it is now. (needs to be out beyond the drip line of the house)

Old 11-01-15, 10:10 AM
D
TY for the tips will be drawing something up soon and getting back to you all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: