Protecting patio cover support posts from water

Old 11-21-15, 09:21 AM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting patio cover support posts from water

I have covered patio in the backyard. The patio cover is supported by 6" x 6" posts. When the builder built them, he just set those posts on the concrete patio without any adequate sealing or protecting them from water.

Over the period, posts started to rot from the bottom probably due to water seepage from the bottom end of the post that was just resting on the concrete.

I am going to remove those posts and redo them. I need advice on how to do them right, so this kind of damage does not happen? I had few contractors come in and give me estimates and some ideas. These are some of the ideas that they suggested.
  1. Seal the bottom of the posts with good sealant and just set them on the concrete just like how builder did
  2. Break the concrete section large enough, seal the bottom of the posts with good sealant and set those posts in the concrete just like fence posts.
  3. Seal the bottom of the posts with good sealant, attach shoe and rest/anchor the post to the concrete patio.

Which option would be better or what are the pros and cons of them? or are there any better options?

Old 11-21-15, 12:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
None of the above. Install temporary supports. Remove the supports. Dig holes for the proper footings. The footings should be a couple inches above the ground & I guess 2 feet below is enough for Tx. Set the brackets while it's still wet & install the posts the next day. Slope the concrete so the water doesn't collect on the footing.

Old 11-21-15, 12:45 PM
Y
So, like how fence posts are installed? or am I missing something?

Old 11-21-15, 02:46 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Was there any footings below the slab where these post are sitting, or did they just set them on top of an old patio?
The post should have been sitting on post bases like this.
ABA/ABU/ABW Adjustable and Standoff Post Bases

Old 11-21-15, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Not the way fence posts are done. The base that Joe posted goes on a concrete footing, in a sono tube. At least that's the code here, in NY.

Old 11-21-15, 03:29 PM
Y
Nope. Nothing like that. They just set them on top of the concrete patio.

Based on the pictures on that website, that's what I meant when I mentioned "attach shoe".

@Pulpo: you said. "The footings should be a couple inches above the ground & I guess 2 feet below is enough for TX". Can you explain what you mean? If the footings should be a couple inches above the ground then how can "2 feet below is enough for TX"?

Edited: Upon close examination, I guess there is difference between footing and shoe.

Old 11-21-15, 03:33 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Anyone that just suggested sealing them has no clue.
If the slab has not cracked in all those years I'd just set the new post base using a concrete anchor and install the new post.
May even be able to reuse the old post depending on how much was rotted off.
Going to need hanger nails to attach the post to the bases.

Old 11-21-15, 03:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Yogi, the depth of the footing depends on the frost line. I don't think that Tx has a frost line so 2 feet should be enough. If the local code, doesn't require footings, then follow Joe's suggestion. The reason that I suggested a couple inches above ground was so that the water doesn't collect & rot the post.

Old 11-21-15, 03:47 PM
Y
Ok. I see, I understand now. Thanks you Pulpo and joecaption.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: