Double doors for crawl space

Old 11-22-15, 03:31 PM
Double doors for crawl space

Okay, so my porch just got finished being bricked. The big thing though is that I now need to create a door for the crawl space under the porch. I would like to do a double door setup where the hinges are just on the inside and it locks and latches in the middle of the two doors. Any ideas on the material I can us for the doors and where I can get it from? Also trying to make something look good against the brick. The door opening is 60 inches wide by 39 inches tall. Name:  WP_20151122_16_47_22_Pro.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  46.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-15, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
I would suggest a 4x8 sheet of Azek PVC. Rip it on a table saw to make a 4 1/2" jamb and use the scrap to make some 1/2 x 1 1/4" door stops. Shim that jamb into the opening so it's level, plumb and square before anchoring it to the cmu. Put some face trim on it to cover the RO.

Measure your door opening once that is installed... I would probably put two layers of 3/4" together to make a 1 1/2" thick door. Once you have them installed, one will need an astragal to keep the doors aligned as the close.

I don't know that hinges on the inside are a good idea unless you intend for them to swing in. You might consider some type of masonry or brick sill on the bottom to get the doors out of the dirt... and hinges on the outside so it swings out.

Old 11-22-15, 04:15 PM
Can I do a double door setup and have them lock in the middle or is it best to do one solid door? Also, how would I put the pieces together to make the door thick? Some type of glue???

Old 11-22-15, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
First, you need to get the straw and any other degradable material like wood out from under your house. Straw & wood will attract pests and can cause problems in the future.

Pressure treated wood is often used to make crawl space access doors. A box can be formed around the opening and attached to your foundation. Then hinges and doors can be attached to the wood frame.

Old 11-22-15, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
To put 2 layers of 3/4" together, just a few 1 1/4" screws or brad nails in the back side would work. Use glue if you like. Yes, with the size and shape 2 doors would work well... I imagine you would need a head barrel bolt on one door and a gate style latch on the other.

Old 11-22-15, 05:02 PM
T1-11 with 4" on center grooves makes a decent looking door.

Old 11-22-15, 05:30 PM
Thank [you everyone for all the help. By any chance would you guys and or gals be able to provide me with a picture. Tried google image search but I had no luck. A picture would just help me a little bit more with this strange build. Thank you!!!

Old 11-23-15, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 72
You could google 'homemade door' and get a lot of different styles to choose from. I'd probably just use one layer of plywood and stiffen it with 1xs around the perimeter and one on a diagonal.

Old 11-23-15, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
If you will not need to access the space under your home often I would not bother with doors, hinges and latches. I would just screw a solid panel in place. When you need access just remove the screws.

On my rental houses I build a box frame around the opening of pressure treated lumber. Most 2"x wood is not treated for ground contact but timber 4"x or larger are. So, I often use a 4x4 or 4x6 for the bottom member on the ground and then 2x4 or 2x6 to frame the sides and top of the box. The same box frame can be used with a screw on panel or doors.

The sides and top can be glued to your foundation with construction adhesive and/or mechanically fastened with nails, bolts or screws into the masonry. The bottom member I usually drill 1/2" diameter holes through at an angle and drive long (12"-18") rebar "pins" into the holes. They extend out the bottom and into the ground to help keep the bottom board from moving.

If doing a non-hinged panel I like to use 1/2" Hardie Backer or Cement board. It tolerates moisture much better than wood and it readily accepts stucco, paint or any other finish you want to apply.