Screened Porch Base Needs Repairing

Old 12-02-15, 05:58 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screened Porch Base Needs Repairing

My 13x14' screened porch is on a solid concrete slab, but the four courses of brick around the perimeter that make up the lower walls are crumbling away. The bottom plate (?) of the walls are anchored to the brick. Looks like the original lag bolts in the brick swelled causing the brick to break. Got an estimate of $3,500 to repair. Need to find a less expensive way that I can DIY. I want to save as much of the original porch as possible. Was thinking about replacing brick with lumber (4x4s and 2x4s) to fill the 11 to 11.25" that the bricks occupy. Assuming that I could jack up the roof, support it, and knock out the brick, is it possible to then install lumber while the upper walls remain jacked. How should that be done. Should treated lumber be used. I live near Virginia Beach, but not near the ocean. Thanks.

Old 12-02-15, 06:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't see why you can't repair the brick after you build the temporary support. Some pics may help.

Old 12-04-15, 07:02 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Repairs

Post photos of both inside and outside of area in question.

Sounds to me like you could support from the inside and far enough from the outside walls to make the necessary repairs. I would demolish and install new brick. Make sure the top course is water proof (solid brick) to prevent water penetration. Use Tapcons in the mortar joints to fasten the wall bottom plate to the brick. Do not use any kind of expanding fastener. Good luck with your project.

Old 12-04-15, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure I buy into the idea of "lag bolts swelling," causing the bricks to break. And then you mentioned crumbling, so are bricks just cracked/broken, or really crumbling?

If just a limited number of bricks are simply cracked, wouldn't it be more practical to just replace those instead of all of them?

Old 12-04-15, 04:56 PM
L
Wow. I'm sorry you can't understand how this could happen. My home inspector stated that the lag bolt swelling caused the bricks to crack, as did a professional masonary contractor, but that's not really the issue here, is it. And why would you assume or guess that it's limited to just a few bricks. Finally, thanks for not addressing my question regarding the use of lumber in lieu of brick. You're the third to do so.

Old 12-04-15, 05:14 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Finally, thanks for not addressing my question regarding the use of lumber in lieu of brick. You're the third to do so.
He was the third but I was the first. My reasoning was that bricks are stronger & last longer. Most people have more experience with wood than masonry so they would rather go that route. Some of us feel that wood is not the best way to go.

In any event, if you don't want to repair the brick, we will gladly give you tips on how to replace it with wood. Please post some pics so we can help you finish the job.

Old 12-04-15, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've worked with lag bolts for more than 60 years. During that time, I have never known any of the many hundreds of them that I've installed (in wood and masonry) to swell, for any reason. Primarily because they are usually coated with zinc plating, which tends to minimize significant corrosion.

You still haven't bothered to address the difference between your cracking and crumbling terms. Or even bothered to include some photos, which could help considerably for those of us who are wanting to assist you with your project.

Old 12-17-15, 05:07 PM
L
I've decided to repair it myself with brick. So far, it's easier than I presumed. I've removed 3 bricks from each wall and will replace as soon as the rain stops. Supporting isn't necessary. I was able to scrounge up enough replacement bricks from around my property. Will use tapcons to replace the old lag bolts. Thanks for that suggestion. Will fill old lag bolt holes in 2x4s to prevent water infiltration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: