Any experience with Ducan Tufdek textured sealer?

Old 12-11-15, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any experience with Ducan Tufdek textured sealer?

What's up, guys?

My new house has a front porch that spans over the top of some garage/basement/crawl space. Before we bought the house, the previous owners ripped up the original surface material down to the joists and replaced it with ****ty tongue and groove OSB. Then they simply gooped some caulk into the joints (which aren't even supported with blocking) and painted over it with some sort of standard exterior paint.

As expected, the OSB started soaking up moisture, the caulk started pulling away from the OSB, and now it flexes at the joints when you walk on it, leaks into the space below, etc, etc.

Needless to say, I need to rip up the OSB, possibly replace or reinforce/sister a couple joists, double check and possibly adjust the slope for drainage, and redo the whole damn thing.

Budget is tight, but I have no problem with DIYing this... My first thought is to lay down 1" tongue and groove plywood (sanded on top side), then apply some sort of textured waterproof surface material like this Tufdek stuff:

Deck Coating, Deck Flooring, Synthetic Decking | Roll-Dek | Ducan

Before I go for it, I figured I'd fish for some reviews, experience, recommendations, etc.

How would you breath new life into this porch?

Thanks in advance!

~Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-15, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It really would help us to help you if you could post a few pictures of your project. Without a visual, we tend to be lost with giving advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 12-11-15, 02:06 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  15.6 KB Name:  image.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  41.3 KBThanks, Chandler.

I'm at work right now so can't snap any detailed pics, but I was able to pullfew pics of the porch from Redfin. Let's see if I can figure out how to post them...

Old 12-11-15, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
I'd look into using PT T&G decking. You might not find it at a big box but a real lumber yard should have it. The biggest issue with those type of deck coatings is when they fail - then there is a LOT of work involved to get it to look decent again.

Old 12-11-15, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the PT tongue and groove. I imagine that would still need to be coated to be waterproof?

This is just my first house, not my "forever" home. If I can find a relatively inexpensive fix that'll last 7-10 years with minimal upkeep, I'll be happy. My primary goal is to prevent water damage to the joists and the spaces below.

Whatever route I take, it'll have to wait until things dry out next summer. We're in for a wet winter here in CA.