Do I need to move my storage shed 5 feet?

Old 01-28-16, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to move my storage shed 5 feet?

It is an interesting story.
My right side neighbor build a patio 3 inches away from my sidewall. Before she started the job, she knocked my door one morning, asked me to cut the pine tree beside the planed patio as it damaged the wall.
To keep a good neighbor, i cut the 30-year old tree all the way to the root (so regret today).

Then a few days later, i see a tall building (patio with arch top) next to my wall, and as there is no tree to block, it looks ugly.

My wife went to the neighbor, asked her to lower the patio. She lowered it (see picture), but still too high. So i want to the city hall, city officer told me it needs permit and must be 5 feet away from the wall. With this in mind, my wife went to the neighbor, asking them to move 5 feet away, as it violate fire code. But they refused to do anything else.

No choice, we reported this to the city. Inspector came one afternoon, gave her a ticket. While inspector was there, she reported that my storage shed is not 5 feet away from the back wall neither, the other side of the back wall is another neighbor, it has nothing to do with her. City inspector told me i need to move it 5 feet from the wall too.

It is a Lifetime 15 ft. x 8 ft. Outdoor plastic Garden Shed. If i move it, it has to be in the center of the backyard, totally waste of space. I drive around the area, a lot of storage sheds close to the back wall, next to the main street, why city don't ask them to move?

My question is, do i have to move? any work around to keep it there?
My zip code is California 91789

Thank you for your help.

Name:  X.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  45.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-30-16 at 07:29 PM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-16, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately since the city noted that yours is a violation of the city ordinance you have to move it. You opened that can of worms when you reported what your neighbor was doing. While the inspector was checking on the violation that you reported he obviously found your violation or maybe your neighbor asked about it. If the others are in violation and they will also have to be moved when they are reported. You unfortunately don't have any grounds not to move it.

I'd move it now and then after the dust settles move it back to where it is.

Old 01-28-16, 04:37 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Useless asking a bunch of strangers that could be from any where on the planet code questions.
Local building and zoning codes rule.

Old 01-28-16, 05:05 PM
It's not really useless asking. I also live in CA. While city codes may vary slightly, I'm afraid they have you.
You are OK as far as the size (less than 144SF), but you are not OK on the setback from the property line.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter that everybody does it, they caught you.

Checking your setback requirements is difficult, but you can be assured it's 5', same as my city.

If you want to research setback requirements, check with the city.
You can also search your cities Municipal Code if available online. Search: Uses, Accessory Buildings

Old 01-29-16, 07:50 AM
Most codes are good and for everyone's benefit but some are senseless...like requiring a TEMPORARY structure to be located so far from the lot line.

My previous town required all privacy fences to be erected 18" from the lot line. Now there are many inaccessible alleys full of weeds, garbage and vermin. Not a well-thought-out plan.

Old 01-29-16, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
As stated, you opened this can of worms. Move the shed or face the consequences.

Old 01-29-16, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You could go to the city and request a variance from the set back. Unfortunately, your neighbors will get a letter and can make comments for or against it. At least that is how it works here.

Old 01-29-16, 09:22 AM
How much of a Fine are they threatening to levy for non-compliance ?

Old 01-29-16, 09:24 AM
some are senseless...like requiring a TEMPORARY structure to be located so far from the lot line
From my experience, these setbacks for sheds are pretty much ignored. If the inspectors wanted to they could write citations for a year straight and just be getting started. I think stickshift said it best, opened a can of worms.
It's little comfort, but just be glad you didn't have a nice attached patio cover or similar that was constructed too close to the property line, that could get expensive.

Old 01-30-16, 05:29 AM
I once attempted (as a Broker) to sell a 100' wide lot on a lake. The Zoning in that Town required a 50' side yard set-back . . . . meaning that, without a Variance, all you could do was run a fence down the middle of it.

I couldn't sell it. The Owner's Estate wound up giving 50% of it to each of his abuttors for a token price . . . . the same 2 Neighbors who had previously objected to it being used for any other purpose.

Old 01-30-16, 06:40 PM
My previous town required all privacy fences to be erected 18" from the lot line. Now there are many inaccessible alleys full of weeds, garbage and vermin. Not a well-thought-out plan.
That's certainly one of the many codes that I've seen that make absolutely no sense. The argument for them is that you can get to the backside of your fence to work on it without encroaching on your neighbor's property. The downside is you both put up a fence you now have a 3 foot no man's land between them that nobody's going to maintain.

Old 01-31-16, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
IMO what is worse are the neighbors that can't agree on a fence type so they each put one up a few inches apart. No way to maintain that side of either fence and the space collects leaves/debris which further shortens the life of the fence!

Old 02-13-16, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I find it funny that you have to deal with moving your shed because you called the city on your neighbor for having an "ugly" patio covering. Hopefully you won't read this and be offended. You say you went to the city like you had no choice... cmon now. Sorry for the hassle, but it does seem fair. The fire code is because a shed on fire can easily spread to the nearby exposure (the house) in a neighboring property. It's not practical for placement of things in your yard, but the idea is to keep from burning a neighbor's house down because a shed caught fire. I'm not trying to be rude, but this is a great learning opportunity. Be nice to your neighbors, my friend.

Last edited by Thomas McArthur; 02-13-16 at 10:25 PM. Reason: needed to 'nice' it up
Old 02-14-16, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure about where the OP is but most setback laws like the one he's having a conflict with were not designed for fire protection. They were strictly done for aesthetics of the neighborhood. I actually think it's reasonable that the OPs shed be grandfathered in where it is said of being forced to be moved. He had a legitimate concern about the neighbors patio covering which encroached and reported it because of that.