Patio Beam Span and Ledger Questions

Old 02-02-16, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Patio Beam Span and Ledger Questions

I'm adding a patio cover to our 2-story house and I had a few questions about beam span and the ledger. I have 8x8 cedar posts (true 8"x8") that will be spaced 22'8" o.c. The footings for the post are 16"x16"x36". There is a steel plate level with the top of the footing that has (4) 2' pieces of bent rebar welded to the bottom which are set into the footing. I'll be welding a bracket for the posts out of 1/4" steel and use (4) 1/2" through bolts to fasten each post in place. The rafters will span about 10' from the ledger to the beam with a 1'-2' overhang. I live in south Texas so there will be no snow load ever. The ledger will be attached to the second story floor joist with 1/2" x 5" lag bolts spaced 16" apart. I will probably use asphalt shingles to finish it up.

Question 1 (easy): What size should my ledger be? 2x6? 2x8?

Question 2 (hard): What are my options for a beam that spans the entire distance between the posts and does not require a center post? Here is what I'm considering so far.
-Single or double flitch beam (using 2x12's and 1/4" steel)
-LVL engineered wood beam
-Wood i-beam

Any suggestions on size and/or material would be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-16, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Question for you - is not using a ledger in the realm of possibility? I hate poking holes into a house which is sufficiently water tight at the moment.

Old 02-05-16, 08:08 AM
A freestanding patio cover is not an option for a couple of reasons.
1) Cosmetically: there is a step extending away from the house in the area where one of the posts would go, which would put a very awkward post in the middle of an otherwise open patio.
2) I do not trust the existing porch slab to hold the weight of the porch since it was only poured 2-3" thick and everything else that was done to this house by the previous owners was half-assed at best so I would rather not trust it if I have a choice.

Old 02-06-16, 05:56 PM
You would do well to have your entire system designed by a local, licensed (professional) engineer. Especially since you'll probably need his/her stamped plans and calculations to submit with the building permit application.

Old 02-13-16, 09:52 PM
That's a long span my friend. I personally don't know a simple answer for you. Maybe your local lumber mill can build you engineered beams that can span that. A reputable mill is a good place to start and will generally have a great knowledge of span tables for engineered beams. Most span tables I've been finding online only show up to triple 2x12 and I don't believe they even go past 18'. Thanks for making my 12'6" beam span I'm working on now seem like child's play!