Low pitch roof options for porch

Old 02-12-16, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low pitch roof options for porch

I'm rebuilding my rotten porch. No real redesign, but wanted to consider different roof alternatives for low pitch structures. I haven't determined the rise/run. It's extremely shallow. It had a 4' or 5' wide asphalt product that spanned the entire width. Looked to be rolled on. Rafters are 2x6s spaced 16". Looking to find something that a DIYer can do without buying too many new specialized tools. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-16, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
What is the pitch of the roof? pics could be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 02-13-16, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Existing roof shingles? Sounds like your rafters are good still and you're replacing from the sheathing up? Yes, roof pitch really determines what to roof with, but there are other factors like snow load, wind, etc. Without getting too crazy, you can get an app called PitchFactor if you, or anyone who can help, has a smart phone. You can always determine pitch the old fashioned way too. Im no roofing pro, but I think code says low pitch (anything under 4:12) is supposed to be metal or synthetic. I think you can get away with double tar paper/snow and ice/synthetic equivalent (these all "roll on" but they are for use under shingles or the like, not to be confused with stand alone "roll on" types of roofing) with certain shingles on a 4:12, but don't quote me on that. Local code could dictate otherwise also. As far as tools required for shingles or metal/synthetic... think you're pretty safe with a hammer or drill. You start getting into the specialty tools when you get into the "rolled on" membranes that require "welds" - not the same as the "underlayment" mentioned above. Hope I didn't confuse you! The simplicity of your project really comes down to how long you expect to get out of your new work. Either way, it's doable!!

Old 02-14-16, 04:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken the shingle manufactures require a 3/12 pitch or greater for shingles, anything less is looking for failure - sooner or later.

Old 02-14-16, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
This is a duplicate of this thread. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ro...f-options.html