Sliding patio door install

Old 02-22-16, 08:44 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sliding patio door install

OK I am building a deck and need a sliding door to install to get on the deck through my homes wall.

2 story home, deck only 4-6' in height.

4' Window currently in the area where the new 6' door will need to go in its place.

I have a basic understanding of framing principles and will need to reinforce the upper floor with a wall inside to the span of the opening with 2x6's and foam EPS buffer on floor and ceiling Ive been told, remove drywall in the area, relocate current window lintel/header and trimmers and possibly studs and fit door, remove temporary reinforcing wall and restore (something like that) on the right track?

Name:  IMG_0402.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  20.7 KB

I am not a carpenter, I'm a cement finisher and this is not my area of expertise at all.

I am compiling information and knowledge on this to make it happen (no rush)

Any input is welcome and muchly appreciated

Last edited by tone loc; 02-22-16 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info (photo)
Old 02-23-16, 05:05 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Will the door be on the first or second story? Where is the opening with respect to the roof, side wall or end wall? How big is the house?

Depending on answers, you will likely need at least a double 2x8 header (spaced with plywood) and probably double 2x10 to handle that span.

Your general process is OK but details are important. You will want the deck surface several inches, at least, below floor level so door sill can be properly weatherproofed. Obviously you will need to remove enough siding to enlarge the opening and seal the new door unit properly.

Old 02-23-16, 08:00 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Also at least 90% of the patio doors I've seen where installed wrong and at some point it causes all kinds of issues.
Proper flashing and idealy having it sitting in a sill pan will prevent it.
Another step people seem to skip is not adding any support on the outside to support the threshold.
I use a piece of 1 X 6 vinyl lumber, it fits right up inside the grove under the threshold, will never rot, and acts like a kick plate to prevent damage to the siding.
Jamsill Guard Door and Window Sill Pan Flashing.

Any door company will have detailed install directions on line that needs to be followed.

Old 02-23-16, 08:25 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I forgot to ask which ways the ceiling joists run...perpendicular to the wall where the door will go or parallel to it.

Old 02-23-16, 09:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 story home this will be on the first (main floor) the joists run perpendicular in the basement but as for the second floor I really don't know, I am thinking perpendicular as well. ( I cant get a hold of the homes plans its built in 1978).

Rough opening is about 2 feet below ceiling, and roughly 3' or 3.5' from the side walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: