Patio roof

Old 03-07-16, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio roof

I am wanting to build a roof over my patio, I want it actually tied into my house.

I like the tied into the house idea because then I only need the 2 posts at the other end of it and it gives a more open feel.

I have a picture of exactly what I want to do but I'm not sure how to upload it to here.

Anyhow, and suggestions or ideas will be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-16, 04:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You'll need to pour footers under the posts, the slab it self isn't enough support.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 03-08-16, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can post a picture like this: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

If you take the picture with a phone, make sure you reduce the size to about 25% of the original.

The only problem with attaching the roof to your house is the height at the edge. If your fascia on the house is at 8', then allowing for proper drop to drain the roof you could wind up with less than 7' at the edge, which would restrict your vision. For your area, too, you need to be concerned with snow load as well. Post the picture and let us see what you see.

Old 03-08-16, 06:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 213 Posts
Also, attaching to the existing roof is notorious for causing leaks and snow/ice damming in winter if not done properly. It's not the sort of thing you can do the easy way.

Old 03-08-16, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It isn't wanting to upload from my tablet, I will upload tonight from my desktop when I am home from work. Thanks again!