How to restore this bench?

Old 03-24-16, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to restore this bench?

We have a neighborhood park bench that needs to be refinished. I assume this is the same process as restoring a deck. Pics are below. I can't tell if it is currently painted or solid-stained, but I suspect it's paint.

My plan was to power wash to remove grime and loose paint, dry, and then use a darker solid stain. Will that work, or do I need to scrape/sand off all the old paint?

Edit: well I guess I can't upload pictures right now. Can you give me advice without seeing pics?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Pics would help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

That said, without them, your process sounds ok.

Old 03-24-16, 09:31 AM
Here they are:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  51.1 KB

So if that's paint on the bench, do I need to sand/scrape it off first, and should I paint it or use a solid stain?

Old 03-24-16, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
I prefer solid stains to paint so I would go that route. For prep, you need to get most of the paint off and a power washer will generally do that for you.

Old 03-24-16, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I'd probably use paint since it's a bench. The wood is a little rough and a couple coats of paint might be easier on whatever is covering the user's rear. At any rate, I'd do some sanding before any finish is applied.

Old 03-24-16, 03:30 PM
Good point on texture. Maybe I'll start with a power wash to see what that takes off, then go over the spots I can reach with a belt sander as necessary, then give it a couple of coats of paint instead of solid-stain. I think that might give me a smoother texture and more uniformity of color.

Old 03-25-16, 08:48 AM
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
The wood is in rough shape. I would be concerned that a power washer might tear it up.
I don't know how much effort you want to spend on this, but if it were me I would unbolt the wood slats and clean them up with a belt sander. That should give you a good idea of the condition. If they are still rough I would paint them.