Deck attachment questions.

Old 03-24-16, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck attachment questions.

Hello,

I'm about to start on a deck project at my house and I have a few concerns.
This is going to be a covered deck and next year I plan to screen it all in for bug free summers.

Because the columns have to support the roof load as well as the deck I want to run the column from footing to the roof beam.

I'm struggling with how to connect my rim joists to the posts.
Attached is a plan I have created, the idea was to use concealed Simpson joist hangers for rim joist and then lap them with another rim joist that can be nailed to the column. I'm concerned the nails or screws will not run flush into the hanger and the lapped board will then have a gap.

So am I way off on this design? Is there a better way?

Advice appreciated!

DECK frame for site.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 203 Posts
It looks like a pretty good framing plan but I don't know that having a single joist hanger covered by a 2x rim on the outside of the posts is a good idea. (The exterior side rim that is simply nailed to the posts doesn't really turn that into a header.) I would want to see that front side doubled and placed in a double hanger, just like the one down the center is. In your case, I don't see the advantage to placing a 2x rim outside the posts. IMO that would best be covered by trim... such as something 3/4 thick. But not knowing the entire plan leaves us somewhat in the dark.

Your concern about bulging at the hangers is taken care of pretty easily by back beveling the overlapping piece with a grinder and a flap disk. In your case, no one is going to lay on the ground and look up at an 1/8" gap on a deck that, according to the plan, is 24" above grade.

Old 03-24-16, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
2x rims are normally embedded in the 6x6 and bolted through to allow the rim to bear on a vertical surface. Just screwing or bolting is not sufficient. OF course if your support does not extend up past the deck for your newel posts, the framing is set directly on the post tops and secured.

See pages 25 and 26 http://www.awc.org/pdf/education/bcd...2hr-140522.pdf

Old 03-24-16, 02:12 PM
Thanks, the idea for the outside 2x was to be a trim piece. I was wondering if that's how the gap is handled, just notch it out a bit... and this seems like the simplest solution. I will re work my plans to add a double joist hanger and then a trim board.

If anyone else has suggestions for the attachment in question please chime in, I do not want to notch out the 6x6. and I didn't really want to bolt to the outside. I'm trying to keep the end as close to flush with the posts as I can.

thanks

Old 03-24-16, 02:18 PM
That's the problem I'm facing the support post will run +8' above the deck floor to support a roof. I didn't like the idea of cutting into the post. Do you feel a DBL joist hanger as described in the first reply will not be enough to support the deck? I haven't looked at the load rating of these hangers but I assume it will be enough. I'll try and find that info.