Deck Touchups

Old 03-31-16, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Touchups

I sealed my deck with a waterbased waterproofing stain a couple of years ago. The deck now has some spots where the seal has worn off and bare wood is showing.

What would you suggest with refinishing it? Do I need to go through the whole stripping process again or would I be able to use a cleaner and add an additional coat to the deck?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-16, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 233 Votes on 213 Posts
It depends on how the deck looks. If it's only a few areas I would treat the deck with a clear waterproofer or protector. If the appearance bothers you then you'll have to decide if touched-up spots would bother you more than seeing the bare wood. If the appearance would bother you then I'd consider a full refinish but that's a big job so I'd try to put it off as much as possible.

Old 03-31-16, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
pics would give us a better understanding on the condition of your deck stain - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

You might not need to completely strip the old stain before you apply a fresh coat but a lot depends on the type of stain and it's condition. Generally new stain will adhere fine to clean weathered stain. IMO a clear sealer would just be a stop gap measure.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-01-16, 02:27 AM
Here's a couple of pictures. Rainy day in Wisconsin so it's a wet deck but you can still see what I'm talking about

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 04-01-16, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I'd be inclined to give it another year, then clean with bleach/water and TSP before restaining.

Old 04-03-16, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the advice. The house is probably going up for sale next year so it'll look real nice with a fresh stain.