Composite deck problems

Old 04-03-16, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite deck problems

We bought a house last summer that has a composite rear deck and front porch. The problem is the composite deck planks have no spacing in between them. So two planks on the back deck and one on the front porch have cracked and buckled up from I'm assuming the expansion of the boards. Should I try to replace these boards and hope it's just a one time issue or would it be better to pull up all of the planks and re-space them?

Last edited by Fisherman83; 04-03-16 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-16, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
How are they attached? Screws? Blind fasteners? We can give better advice if you include a link to a picture.

Old 04-03-16, 05:57 PM
They're attached with visible screws. Link to pictures is below.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskxCGgXh

Old 04-03-16, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 201 Posts
Wow, that's nuts! Can you get one more closeup picture that maybe shows the ends of the boards... like where they meet the bricks? Can't tell you what to do but it might be easiest to back those screws out and space them. But some of those composite boards are now discontinued because they were meant to be put together that way (tongue and groove), but in real life application they found out they can't stand the heat. (can you say class action law suit?) Also all composite decks now require joists that are 16" on center... (some require 12" on center!) can't tell your spacing but it looks too wide, maybe 24" which would be very bad.

IMO if I was going to take it up, it would probably only be to add aditional joists as needed, pitch the old decking and install new decking that isnt warped. Most of that decking will never lay flat again.

Old 04-03-16, 06:23 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Google "Trex recall"
Most of that damage is from defective material, some is from not be attached correctly.
The lack of gaps I'd bet has nothing to do with it .
If it expanded at all it would be along the length of the boards, not the sides.
There is no "fixing" that one your looking at total replacement.

Old 04-03-16, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to get the pictures you asked for. I looked up the trex recall and it doesn't cover my state but I did see there are a few class action lawsuits out there for it that I'll have to dig into a little more.

Old 04-04-16, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
My father in laws deck had the composite boards installed touching. It was a screened porch and was supposedly done to keep insects out but it caused a drainage problem. He used a circular saw and made a cut between the boards to open up a blade width gap.