Eliminating deck posts?

Old 04-03-16, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Eliminating deck posts?

Anyone know of how I might connect my beams to the cement pads directly as opposed to a post in between? Or might this be a stupid thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-16, 10:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use Sono tubes to pour piers.

Old 04-03-16, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
I'm not quite following you. Are you planning a very low deck ?
Are you asking if you can let the deck framing sit right on the cement ?

That would allow the framing to be just about sitting on the ground. That wouldn't be too good.

Old 04-04-16, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Sorry, I've read your question several times and I don't think I understand - can you clarify what you're trying to accomplish?

Old 04-08-16, 10:17 AM
Ground-level decks have some issues that you should be aware of. You will need airflow to help equalize moisture, so this prevents the use of tongue-and-groove decking. At a bare minimum, the boards should be spaced to allow airflow (generally soil moisture escaping out rather than being trapped). Ideally, there should be some spacing underneath the beams to allow airflow from the sides. That will be plenty to allow for proper moisture control. I had a ground level deck at my old place for 25 years and I'm building one now.

I looked at this very same problem (I'm doing beams attached directly to piers as well). You need to do this, actually, as you would be burying the posts otherwise (defeating the purpose). 4x4 Simpson post anchors are what I am using, with a 1/2" PT shim in between (2-2x8 beams are 3" wide, the post anchor is 3.5" wide).

Easy enough if you have a planer or a bandsaw. Otherwise, it could probably be shimmed with anything that won't rot, like PVC or Lexan (provided it's pre-drilled). Some trouble, but better in the long run.

Old 04-11-16, 04:59 PM
Thanks! Much appreciated!

Old 04-11-16, 08:34 PM
I did exactly what you are suggesting. My 16 foot wide by 15 foot long deck sits on 6x6 ground contact beams that are bolted directly to concrete piers. I used threaded j bolts to make the connection but there are many alternatives. I did have to shim in a couple of locations using plastic shims. I also had to counter bore many of the j bolts because they were in the way of floor joist.