Pressure washer recommendations

Old 04-07-16, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure washer recommendations

Hey everyone! So I bought a old truck a few months ago and of course it started leaking oil a few weeks later. Now I have oil spots all over my driveway. Luckily it is starting to get warmer so I am ready to hit this project with some degreaser and make things look decent again (then I'm going to put a drip pan under the truck since it finally motorcycle weather once again!!!) However, I don't know how strong of a pressure washer I need. There are such a wide variety of PSI levels out there and I can't find anything online on where the sweet spot would be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-16, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Are you buying or renting?

I'm not a fan of extra high pressure as it can get you in trouble if you aren't careful. If I'm not mistaken my PWer is only 1500 psi and it has always been stout enough for anything I needed to prep for paint/stain. Concrete can handle extra pressure but could get you in trouble on siding/decks.

Old 04-07-16, 02:38 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
The lowest I would buy is 3500 PSI.
Main reason is I never know what I'll be asked to do with it.
With that much power and my turbo blaster nozzle I can make quick work of a concrete walk way or brick and make it look like new.
Change the nozzle and I can safely clean siding, or the deck.
Just takes a little common since on how close to get and what nozzle to use.

Old 04-07-16, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 230 Votes on 212 Posts
I'm afraid oil is usually IN the concrete. Higher pressure will just remove move cement and mar your concrete. I would start with products intended to remove grease stains from concrete and if you feel you need to try a pressure washer use a lower pressure one or use a wider fan tip on a high pressure one.

Old 04-07-16, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And this is why I love using this site! I always learn something before I go invest alot of money into something that's not going to work! Is this more around the lines of something that I should use instead?

Amazon.com: 50LB Oil Absorbent: Automotive

Old 04-07-16, 07:05 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Nope, all that's for is major spills to soak up anything on the surface.
Need something like this.
ZEP 128 oz. Driveway and Concrete Pressure Wash Concentrate-ZUBMC128 - The Home Depot
Simple Green and Krud Kutter will also work.
Going to need a stiff brush to work it in to the pores.

Old 04-08-16, 04:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are still trying to choose a pressure washer, note the engine manufacturer. One of my helpers had a really good working PW until he ran it low on oil and broke a few things inside. Hey, replace them, right??? Nope. The engine was manufactured in east Siberia, I believe. JK. No parts so it was a nice boat anchor.

I have one with a Briggs engine and it works OK, but I bought a new one with a Honda engine and it is really nice. I know I can get parts for either, and it should be a consideration when buying one.

Old 04-08-16, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The brand of pump is also important. Mine has a Comet pump with a Honda engine and while I'm now retired and only use it a few times a year, the unit is 20 yrs old and still works well. Not had to do anything to it besides regular maintenance other than replacing the unloader valve. There are a few other pumps with good reps but I can't remember the brands

Seems like I remember ready somewhere that the PWer that have the pump mounted behind the motor are superior to the ones that have the engine mounted above the pump.