patio under deck with deck footer question

Old 04-10-16, 06:33 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
patio under deck with deck footer question

We are considering adding a concrete patio that will be partially under our deck. size will be about 12' x 30'. The patio will be a poured slab as a walkout from our basement. The grade slopes away from the house about 1' over 8'. Deck about is supported via (4) 6x6 PT posts that rest on concrete footers. The location of these footers is within the footprint of the patio. The tops of the footers very in elevation, but all are below what the top of the patio will be.

My Question is one of how to properly support this deck after the patio is built. One thought I have is to temp support the deck, then put in sono tubes on top of the footers, pour concrete to an elevation that will be at or above what the new patio elevation will be, then pour the patio around the sono tubes, such that the two parts of concrete (patio and footer extensions) are not connected.

Another thought is to limit the width of the patio such that it falls within the deck piers, and we just leave the deck alone.

Thoughts?

Old 04-11-16, 03:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
How wide is the deck? how much would that limit the size of the patio if you kept the same footprint?

Old 04-11-16, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
For ease of build, I would form it up just inside the footers, assuming they are placed in proper perspective to each other, and not try to include them in the footprint. One foot in 8 is a steep slope. Are you sure of that?

Old 04-11-16, 07:08 AM
H
the slope is correct, yet is a generalization. It starts nearly level at the house, then starts a gentle slope and really drops near the footers

More data:

House to post is 10'
House to edge of footer is appx. 9'
Patio would be 25 x 9 if I keep it inside the footers. I think we can live with that. Much easier than trying to extend footer elevation.

Old 04-11-16, 01:35 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
I had looked at getting a patio poured before deciding on a ground-level deck, and it seems pretty standard that they were going to excavate for the patio, use expansion material around the existing posts (and footers), and simply pour right up to the posts. In theory, this should allow for vertical movement of the patio.

Old 04-11-16, 06:53 PM
H
I think we can live with the width, and keep the patio edge just adjacent to the footer, it might make for some good opportunities to get creative with landscaping (planters, etc.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: