pavers without gravel base

Old 04-19-16, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pavers without gravel base

I have an area on the side of my house id like to cover with pavers. When i built the house about 10 years ago, this area was all back filled with sand, about 6 feet deep. Ive put in a fee patios and have always done a gravel base typically over raw ground. Seems kinda odd, to excavate for gravel, compact and then a sand bed if the material below the gravel is sand. Am i over thinking this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-16, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Sand won't compact. Don't know how this would work.

Old 04-19-16, 01:53 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
I built a small paver walkway at my previous house using only sand for the base. It was falling apart within a year.

Old 04-19-16, 02:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you use a wet mix on the perimeter, it shouldn't fall apart.

Old 04-19-16, 04:03 PM
Wet mix of what? I merely cut out the sod, dug down a few inches, added sand, laid the pavers and then brushed more sand into the joints. The top of the pavers were flush with the remaining lawn yet moved considerably over the months.

Old 04-19-16, 04:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
A wet concrete mix. Once it gets hard, it won't move.

Old 04-19-16, 06:55 PM
Okay, I can see that working.

Old 04-19-16, 07:58 PM
It all depends on hat you a using as a "paver".

True pavers are about 4"x8" and between 3 and 4" thick. They are dry set in a 1" sand setting bed. After setting and the edge restraint ("bricks" on end, 4"-6" steel or aluminum) the pavers are set on the uncompacted dry sand setting bed. The base under sand setting bed various with the load on the surface and the strength of the base or sub base. This can create a paved surface that can carry the heaviest wheel traffic (semis, loaded heavy duty tucks and even dozers, etc.). They key is the pattern of the pavers and the compaction of the pavers with a plate compacter to even up the surface. This is typical for pavers for streets, roads, parking lots and even for along airports taxiways. Load bearing pavers are not set on concrete unless there is a foot or two of base under the compacted base.

The thinner items that are called "pavers" are just stepping stones that are not meant for any appreciable loads.

The design and construction of paver streets and roads is a century old subject that is proven.

Dick

Old 04-20-16, 11:14 AM
no vehicle loads on this, just a patio to eliminate poor grass growing area. I would be using 4x8 bricks or larger not the thin veneer stuff. Rigid edge restrain is a given.