Yet another deck ledger attachment issue

Old 04-27-16, 01:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Yet another deck ledger attachment issue

Hello I'm looking for advice on how to reenforce my deck and/or help it not fall down.

Issue:
There are a few issues which you'll pick up on but really my concern is how to attach the deck and/or reenforce it as a first step.

As it is now the deck ledger board was attached directly over hardie board with 5 in lag screws. They are in a alternating patern, up, down etc 1 in between each joist. The issue is they only go into OSB board. THATS IT!!

Why:
Ok so besides just doing it wrong there is an added complexity / possible fix. The reason it doesn't hit the rim board is because the living room is a filled in step down living room and they attached the deck at the level of the livingroom floor instead of at the level of the original step down floor, which has a rim board.

The thing is the fill in floor has a rim board, joists, and subfloor, but the rim board and all of that is on the interior of the wall. Meaning its not supporting walls etc.

Options:
A)I would like to get a longer lag screw and go the extra 6 inches, distance through the wall, and connect to that "inner rim board". A few things concern me.
1) That board is connected to the wall. Could the deck potentially rip out that board and take the wall down with it?
2) Does a super long lag screw 10+" only hitting wood after 9" actually provide me anything?

B) In addition to the above or in place of I could put in two additional piers and posts closer to the house to take the load off the ledger board.
1) If I do this should I not even mess with the longer screws?
2) If I do the longer screws do I even need to do this?

Thank you so much for any advice. Here's a rough drawing if it helps.

Name:  deckquestion 2.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  15.1 KB

Last edited by cbowlingdiy; 04-27-16 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-16, 01:23 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Attaching a ledger only to the rim joist doesn't meet code anymore. It was never a great idea. The rim board attachment is not strong in the direction it needs to be to keep the deck from falling away. The penetrations through the siding and water and air barriers were a frequent source of leaks. In your case it's a doubly bad idea.

You don't say how high the deck is, but I think your best option is to do away with the ledger and convert it to a free standing deck using posts and a beam as you suggested.

Old 04-27-16, 01:32 PM
C
Thanks. The deck is around 5' off the ground.

Old 04-27-16, 04:51 PM
J
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
A real picture of what your home looks like would be a big help.
A whole lot of things can go wrong building a deck that will cost you a ton of money later on.
In your area that decking should be at least 6" below any door openings.
I'd avoid a ledger like the plague and do it free standing as suggested to avoid any damage to the home.

Old 04-28-16, 08:27 AM
C
Sure here are some pictures to get a better sense of the setup. I don't really have pictures under the subfloor etc but the drawing is my best attempt to depict what's going on there.

Avoiding ledgers from all I've read and seen just seems like a really good idea but unfortunately for me my deck used one and even worse it was attached improperly.

Question:
1)If I go the route of converting to freestanding would you remove the ledger and fill in any holes etc or would you just let sleeping dragons lie and not disturb it. Of course I'd seal it and flash it as best as possible but still leave it on.

2)Any other tips or things to look out for when converting to free standing (Special hardware, supports, construction tips, etc) After this I don't want to worry about the deck again.

Name:  20160428_081055.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  41.6 KB
Name:  20160428_081108.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  44.6 KB
Name:  20160428_081125.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  25.6 KB

Old 04-28-16, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 306 Posts
Remove the first row of siding that is above the deck. Remove the piece of decking closest to the house. Find the studs. Lag the ledger into each stud, 2x. Flash the ledger to the wall. Put the piece of decking back on. Put the siding back on. You're done.

Yes it's wrong for siding to run behind the ledger, but at this point, having siding behind the ledger is not much different than spacing the ledger out with washers... provided the siding doesn't rot away. Difference is that with siding back there, there is no drainage... so you need to make sure the ledger is flashed so that it doesn't ever get wet behind the ledger.

Old 04-28-16, 01:16 PM
C
Interesting I hadn't thought of that option. I was thinking of going in deeper to hit the "inner rim board" but you're suggesting going into the wall studs since they are right there. I mean to be honest they may have even hit one or two already by accident

I think I saw this answer on a few other posts, but just to confirm walls and wall studs can support the weight of a deck. Obviously they support the downward weight of a house, but I was curious about the different force that would be applied by a deck "hanging" off of it.

Thanks again everyone for the great input. This is really helping me decide a path forward.

Old 04-28-16, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 306 Posts
Its no different than the force exerted on a rim joist. Same forces at play.