Footing size and depth for sandy condition in San Francisco

Old 04-28-16, 03:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Footing size and depth for sandy condition in San Francisco

Hi guys - I'm building a 24x12 deck and will be using 8 footings. I live in San Francisco near the beach so the soil condition is all sand. I've dug 3 feet deep and it's just sand, what should I do to make sure my footers don't sink or move because of the sand?

I was planning to using 10" quik tube and and create a 3' footer, is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Old 04-28-16, 03:10 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
#1, Talk over your plans with the local building inspector.
You live in the republic of CA so I'm sure there going to have a ton of rules and need a permit for anything you do.

Old 04-28-16, 03:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Permits are not needed in San Francisco if the walking surface is less then 30" above grade which mine will be less then 20"

Old 04-28-16, 05:27 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
At the very least you're going to want to use a Bigfoot Original pier footing forms save time, save money on decks, renovations, new construction or something similar on the bottom of your piers so they have a lot more bearing surface to support the deck. In saying you need to maximize the bearing area to gain additional support. Even though you are not required by code to get a permit a quick discussion with the local building official may give you some ideas of how decks are supported in sand by others in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: