Simple pergola question

Old 05-26-16, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple pergola question

I've looked at a lot of pictures of pergolas. It seems to me a lot of pergolas without a consistent roof or fabric don't seem to work very well: vertical slats don't work when the sun is high, and they only work well when it is perpendicular to them. As such here is what I am thinking, but I wonder why I don't see this design used much? I would have the slats angled at 45 degrees.

Name:  image.png
Views: 660
Size:  5.6 KB

So 4X4 posts, 2X8" joist probably, and 5/4 decking about half way notched in (as deep as a circular saw will get me).

Fabric won't save any money over this plus it blows around and decays. The benefit to the angled wood instead of laid flat like a deck is that I don't get additional snow weight on top of this (it will be on top of a deck). Also it gives the ideal angle against the sun when the sun is perpendicular to it and, finally, as the sun swings around at late day and sends its light parallel to the slats, they still offer substantial shade (though not complete).

Feel free to post thoughts on if this is awesome or terrible! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-16, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It's not just the 45 degrees. A neighbor of mine made a light shade pergola once and the slats were angled with the asmuth of the sun at the hottest time of the year. It would provide shade during the evening and allow light in the winter months when the sun stretched another route in the sky. It took quite a bit of studying for him, but it worked well.

Old 05-26-16, 03:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
While they can provide some shade I've always thought they were more for looks than anything else.
I never cared much for them as they can be a bear to stain.