Covered my patio with a 16' x 24' wide overhang/roof (issues with wind)

Old 06-02-16, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Covered my patio with a 16' x 24' wide overhang/roof (issues with wind)

The overhang has a post on each side supporting the beams on the end away from the house, and on the other end the beams rest on the bottom of the outer floor joist for the first level supported by the wall. When we get the occasional 70 + mph wind I can feel the floor shake. I'm wondering what type of supports I can add to reduce the movement. Keep in mind this was built after the original house, so I could not extend the beams deep into the house like I would have wanted. I'm thinking about beefing up the wall under the beams resting on the house, and then adding a board at a 45 degree angle from each of the main beams to the beefed up wall (same thing people do on decks to get rid of the swaying motion). I don't think pouring footings next to the house and adding more support will do much. I'm not worried about the overhang blowing away, it's more that shaking motion I'm trying to eliminate.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-16, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Can you give us some pictures?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-02-16, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
Yes, I can imagine a wind issue with a 16x24 roof. Uplift protection is a big part of the building code at least around hear and gets more stringent the closer you get to the coast. Maybe once we can see what you've got we can come up with some ideas to help.