Exterior Screws for pressure treated deck/porch steps?

Old 06-07-16, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Screws for pressure treated deck/porch steps?

Hi, I own a 3 family home in Mass.There is a Front porch which is in good cond. But the steps need some work.There are currently 4 steps there out of pressure treated wood.One of the stingers arrears to be damaged.I want to re build and replace whats needed.My question concerns the proper screw that will hold up to New England winters,etc.In the past I have used Galvanized Deck screws.I see now there are others for deck,Gold color coated??Are there better in the elements?Also Do you find "Star driver" vs Philips Better?? Thanks.Just want this rebuild to Last.Thanks For your help.

Also What boards are normally used for the actual step which is 10"wide??
Do you use like (2) 5/4" x 6" butted together???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-16, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
The screws must say they are ACQ approved. "Star drive" are called torx. Yes, the ceramic coated torx drive work well. Treads are generally 11 1/4 wide, when you include the 1 1/4" of nosing. Two boards side by side, with a space inbetween works best. 5/4 x 6.

Old 06-12-16, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A while back I did a (pro-bono) job for a local non-profit, rebuilding their stairway hand railings. Whoever built the original railings didn't use proper screws for pressure-treated wood, and even though just a few years old, they were all frozen in place, and had to be cut off and replaced.

Also, they were Phillips heads, which stripped out if just looked at the wrong way. I prefer using square-drive screws myself, as they never cam out.

Old 06-12-16, 04:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
My youngest son bought a house with an at grade deck I believe deck screws were used since they showed no signs of rust at the top of the phillips screws but very few of them would screw out and we found it easier/quicker to break the screws where they entered the joist when we tore the deck out.