Deck Stain dry but rubbing off

Old 06-09-16, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Stain dry but rubbing off

I used Armstrong Clark semi-solid wood stain. Actually I didn't I had someone do it for me, so not really DIY. But here is the stain that was used. The deck was stained Monday 6/6, 3 days ago. Woodland brown is the color. Oil Based Wood Stain: Semi-Solid Wood Stain Colors - Armstrong-Clark Co. Site The deck is one year old and was pretreated with a 2 step process, #1 scrubbing and cleaning off any graying, and a wood brightener.

So the issue is it's been 3 days and the stain is dry HOWEVER it's still easily coming off on my fingers if I rub it. Not sure what to do here. Wait or apply something?

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-16, 08:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
How was the stain applied? My first thought is maybe it was sprayed on and not worked into the wood with a brush or roller.

Old 06-09-16, 08:31 AM
Brush and roller only. Also it doesn't appear too tick.

Old 06-09-16, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular stain but would think it would be dry by now. Cool temps and damp/humidity conditions can slow down the drying/curing process. IF the cleaners weren't rinsed off well that can be a contaminate that would prevent/slow curing. I'd contact the manufacture and discuss it with them. Maybe that stain is slow to cure [needs more time] or could be a known defect.

Old 06-09-16, 09:28 AM
Yeah the cleaners were done a week before, it has been a bit cold and damp as well, it's rained a couple times. But again it's not wet at all. It just rubs off. Maybe that's the same thing? Also if the stain is oil based why would dampness and rain from water make a difference?

Jeff

Old 06-09-16, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Given that the stain was worked into the wood, I think you either have a surface contamination problem or a defective product.

Old 06-09-16, 09:48 AM
What do I do if the product was defective?

Old 06-09-16, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 116 Posts
Call the stain's customer service dept and discuss it with them.

Moisture slows down the curing time. You can take a roller full of oil base paint, submerge it in a bucket of water, pull it out a week later, spin off the water and resume using it. Cool and/or damp conditions won't stop the curing process but will slow it down.