Front porch post has settled !!!

Old 06-12-16, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front porch post has settled !!!

Hi - Last night I noticed that my left front porch column had become disengaged from the porch roof. Upon further investigation, I found that the main porch support column that goes into the ground has gotten soft from all the rain and probably has settled about an inch. This is a 6X6 beam. It either sits on a cement footer or goes into the ground and this is what I don't know. Do these supports generally just sit on a footer, or are they in the ground several feet making this job a big headache. Any help would be greatly appreciated. How would YOU fix this if you intend to stay in this home?

Thanks - Joe Cal

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-16, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
A pic or two would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Ideally the post would sit on concrete above ground but it's hard to say how yours was done. Do you know how long ago it was built?

Old 06-12-16, 06:30 AM
The house will be 11 years old in August. I dug around a bit and saw the post eroded a bit and that there was cement there. I have a picture of the porch column unseated from the roof, but that won't help, I will try and get a shot on the rotted post and see if it helps.

Old 06-12-16, 06:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
I think first you'll need to determine if the footer has sunk or if the post has rotted and collapsed. If the wood of your posts go into the ground I would also dig around the others. They might not be far from settling or sinking but hopefully the problem is limited to just the one problem post.

Old 06-12-16, 06:48 AM
I tried to dig down a bit and take a picture but there IS cement there and couldn't get too deep. The wood is very soft under there. I hope this picture helps a bit, but it doesn't show muchAttachment 67215 You can see a black spot on the wood, and that spot is bery soft to the touch

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-16, 06:51 AM
Thanks - I did check the other side and all is well with that. This particular post is in a spot where when we get heavy rains and the gutters fail, water just overflows right into the post. After the repair I am going to have to correct the water issue. I did post a picture. The post is rotted so I don't think the footer sunk

Old 06-12-16, 06:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I'm seeing correctly the post is embedded in the concrete ??
Personally I'd replace the post and have it set on top of the concrete. You can probably remove the post and pour more concrete along with a post bracket to hold the new post. That will also help to eliminate the water issue. Don't forget to temporarily support the porch while you replace the post.

Old 06-12-16, 07:10 AM
Thanks - I feel the same as you but hopefully the post isn't too deep. God knows what these builders did. I will take your suggestion and I do have a jack made for deck use. Thanks for the assistance as always. Hopefully this will be easy and not too costly.

Old 06-12-16, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to pull or chisel the embedded wood out of the footer. That way when you build a form around it and pour concrete it will also go into the hole and lock the two footers together. I'm just a painter so if one of the carpenters say my way isn't good enough - listen to them

Old 06-12-16, 08:28 AM
Thanks Marksr!
I'll will be sure to do that! It is a corner post so there is no direct threat to my porch roof falling because it is supported really well in the center by the columns, but I will get to this as soon as these heat breaks.

Old 06-13-16, 07:35 AM
Something strange about my porch. I know I said the wood was soft but only in the front of the beam where the water sits and I feel that could be corrected. But, what is weird is, I decided to get a level and check to see how much the deck sunk, and the darn thing is perfectly level from one end to another? A roof can sag, but I never heard of a roof rising lol Not unless the vinyl columns the guy installed can shrink in the heat and other elements? Maybe the deck was never level and now it sank and IS level? I hate to pull this beam which is basically pretty sound except for the front and find out that isn't the cause. Any ideas?