Outdoor Zinc Covered Dining table

Old 06-20-16, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Zinc Covered Dining table

Hey guys, I'm looking to build an outdoor dining table and surface the top with zinc sheeting. Question,... How do I make a top that will not warp or buckle, but stay flat ? I was thinking exterior grade plywood with mahogany stringers underneath but all plywood is generally a ready made springboard. I'm looking to make the top 42" wide and about 12' long. Thoughts ??? Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-16, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
How do you plan on breaking the sheeting to form around the perimeter? You don't want sharp edges that may cut or snag. By "zinc", do you mean galvanized metal? If so, you will find once it is broken around the perimeter, the galvanization will be compromised and could cause rust spots. Any reason for using mahogany as stringers? If you are looking for something weather resistant, just use pressure treated lumber throughout. It can be stained after it dries somewhat.

Old 06-20-16, 06:14 AM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Why galv. metal?
Pressure treated wood in direct contact with zinc coated steel would begin to oxidize (rust) as soon as they touched.
The new pressure treated wood is treated with copper.
I just fixed a jet ski trailer that someone had mounted the pressure treated 2 X 4 bunks in direct contact with the metal frame cross member and it had eaten all the way through.

Old 06-20-16, 06:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Same thing will happen with aluminum, so I'd be wary of the galvanized metal.

Name:  bad flashing.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 06-20-16, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
If covering the table with a solid sheet of metal you probably don't need to use pressure treated wood. Totally covered on top and the sides it will be protected from most weater and leaving the bottom open will allow the wood to thoroughly dry and breathe. Using non treated wood would help with corrosion and opens up a lot more options for wood.

When putting galvanized metal, especially if it's the thinner electro galvanized, is to paint it well with oil based primer/paint before installing it over pressure treated wood. Not only does the paint act a an extra barrier against corrosion but it also separates the zinc from the copper in the wood and reduces the galvanic portion of the corrosion.

As for forming the metal for your top check with sheet metal fabricators or metal shops in your area. Tell them (very BRIEFLY) what you are planning to do and ask what length material they can handle in their brake. 12' is a common break length but they may not have dies for the full length especially if you want the metal to wrap all the way around to have a lip on the bottom. Sometimes shortening the work by just a few inches can make it much easier to fabricate.