Hose down driveway after asphalt sealer?!

Old 07-02-16, 02:38 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hose down driveway after asphalt sealer?!

I just had my asphalt driveway sealed, they said after 24 hours to hose it down with water, what are your thoughts on this....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-16, 04:41 PM
M
I don't think it will hurt anything but I also don't see any reason for doing it. I've always been of the opinion that the longer the sealer stays down before getting wet the better. Did you ask them the reason for hosing it down?

Do you know if it was a oil-based or latex based sealer? That could possibly change my opinion.

Old 07-02-16, 05:02 PM
W
It's oil base. Black Mac brand. Says it helps cool down the sealer and I believe he said will bond better

Old 07-02-16, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,030 Votes on 956 Posts
I was looking for information on Black Mac brands. I read many complaints about their oil based sealer peeling off.

Most sealers seal better when the driveway is hot. I think I'd pass on the watering idea.

Old 07-03-16, 04:18 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. However, that being said have you ever noticed that when highways are being resurfaced a water truck will follow the repaver truck and do a wash down? Might be something to it. Do they offer any type of warranty? If so better do what they say.

Old 07-03-16, 06:32 AM
W
Ya I've seen that too

Old 07-04-16, 04:26 PM
M
Never heard of such a thing. However, that being said have you ever noticed that when highways are being resurfaced a water truck will follow the repaver truck and do a wash down? Might be something to it. Do they offer any type of warranty? If so better do what they say.
The reason that water is applied when the highway is repaved is to lower the temperature of the asphalt. The actual that is used for repaving highways is delivered very hot to the site, most re-pavers these days actually have a heater built into them to additionally raise the temperature of the product before it is applied. Once the asphalt is placed the product needs to be cooled as it is rolled. If it's not cooled and traffic drives on it it will break up very quickly.

That's definitely not the same situation you have when applying a sealer to your residential driveway.