Box Stairs for deck

Old 07-03-16, 01:53 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Box Stairs for deck

I currently have a 15x25' deck off the back of my house. I want to build a new set of stairs off the back of the deck into the yard.(no existing stairs currently). Deck rise is 36". I plan to build a set of cascading box steps instead of using stringers. There will be 4 treads and 5 risers. My question is about the footings. Will I need to pour a concrete slab under the entire footprint of the bottom box? If so, how deep? And also will I need to set posts inside the front corners of the box below the frost line? This is my first set of box stairs and I'm having a hard time finding much info on them. From what I understand they can be used for low rise decks up to 36".

Link to a pictures- this is essentially the same idea

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4d356dc718.jpg
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 12387
Size:  36.2 KB

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1a/55/31/1a553135e12ee4e55fc07e6e6133d433.jpg
Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 4748
Size:  20.6 KB
Any help/info will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by PJmax; 07-03-16 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-16, 02:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You can do individual footings for the box step, but don't do as the top picture indicates. Namely, the bottom rise is way too much. Hopefully they were planning on either another ground rise, or re-grading. Secondly the top picture only allows for 5 1/2" of tread in front of each riser, which is too narrow a tread. It should have been 11", or two 5/4 x 6 boards deep per tread. Note how it was done on the bottom steps.

Old 07-03-16, 05:31 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Looking at the picture I was wondering about hand rails. Not sure where they would go if required.

Just my opinion, but it looks like a lot of material for a 3' or 4' opening at the top. My first thought was, 2 or 3 steps down to a landing and then the remaining 2 or 3 steps to each side. Then a hand rail up one side, across the landing, and down the other side. Landings are always nice as they reduce the fear of falling.

Bud