Best way to fix porch railing?

Old 07-06-16, 10:09 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to fix porch railing?

My elderly mothers porch needs some repairing. One of the railings has come loose from the post (as shown in attached pics) and I'm not sure what the best route would be in terms of the correct fix. The wood itself is not rotted and is in solid condition. Thanks in advance for any help.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  39.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-16, 11:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Option #1: Use a steel plate/bracket to attach the railing. A flat plate could be used on the front face or a piece of angle on the back side. Most home centers sell various brackets in the lumber section and have a section of aluminum and steel material near the hardware area of the store.

Option #2: In the hardware section of most home centers they have very long screws approved for use with treated lumber. You would pilot drill through the 4x4 post then run a couple long screws through and into the railing.

Old 07-07-16, 12:11 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, Pilot Dane. I think option two sounds like the best plan of action. As for the screws you were talking about, would something like these (Shop The Hillman Group 5/16-in x 6-in Construction Lag Screw at Lowes.com) be sufficient? They say no pre-drilling is required, but would pilot holes still be a good idea? Thanks again for the help.

Old 07-07-16, 03:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I couldn't find if that screw is rated for PT wood. Any fasteners used with PT need to be rated for PT to prevent premature corrosion. It's generally a good idea to predrill as that all but guarantees the screw won't split the wood.

Old 07-07-16, 05:38 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
I'd be using at least 4, 3" long decking screws in predrilled holes toe nailed into the rail.
If that woods rotten in the rail it needs to be replaced.