Build one step down around deck.

Old 07-17-16, 07:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Build one step down around deck.

I have an existing 30x15ft deck off the back of my house. I am tearing it up and replacing it with composite deck, and am planning on building a step down all the way around the deck. I am worried about grass growing up right next the step and it being hard to mow. I was thinking of putting some sort of paving under it like a flat concrete block so that 6 inches or so couldn't grow grass. I've tried to find a picture of what that might look like, but can't find anything. Will that look strange?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 07:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is the deck 15" or so high all the way around? Aside from using a weed eater to keep the grass at bay, you could possibly pour a 2 or 3" footer all around the perimeter, rest your steps on that and the grass will be easier to mow, although it will creep up on the concrete to a degree. You are going to need a footer anyway for all your stringers or boxes.

Old 07-17-16, 10:30 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Border

Make the border around the bottom of the step the full depth of a step. A narrow border will be an "ankle-turner" when you step off the step onto the ground.

Old 07-18-16, 06:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I have rock under and around my deck for just this purpose - the border is not at the bottom of the stairs.