Shallow Deck Pier

Old 07-17-16, 04:41 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shallow Deck Pier

Good evening. This is my first post here. I'm in the process of building a porch on the front of my house. Everything has been going fine, but I've run into a small problem. Where one of the corner posts is being set, there is a buried oil tank. The frost line here in Illinois is around 36". The depth at this location is only 24 inches. I knew the tank was there, so I've dug that hole by hand and have finally met resistance. So, my question is, how should I proceed to set this post since I can't get below the frost line in this one location. The rest of the piers/footings will be deep enough, but this one has me baffled. I was considering using a diamond pier foundation, but I'm scared of hitting the tank when I drive the pins in. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I attached a pic of the pier that is having the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  Pier Location.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  35.6 KB

Last edited by dohercs; 07-17-16 at 05:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! By no means should you try to pour a pier over a tank. First, if the tank needs to be replaced, there goes your porch. Secondly, you will be adding pressure to the soil surrounding the tank which it doesn't tolerate well. The local authorities may have a better solution or may not condone it completely, but they will have to sign off on it with your permit, so check with them, too.

Old 07-17-16, 05:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The oil tank is empty and isn't used, and from what I understand, hasn't been used in years, so I'm not worried about replacing it ever.

Old 07-17-16, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Having age on it and being empty can make it worse. I know it opens up another can of worms with the EPA, but you may want to consider removing the tank. Then no more problems.