Deck too low for post

Old 07-17-16, 07:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck too low for post

I had to do the fence just few weeks back and decided i'm going to build a deck. My dad and I pretty handy so we're sure we have no issues. When the guys came to do the fence I had them put down a few footings. I wanted a 12ftx12ft deck and the guy put down 4 footings at 8.5ft apart forming a square.

The issue was I didn't plan for the height because I hadn't looked into the beam and joist sizes at that time, i thought it would be enough. Now the footings is done, I'm trying to see the clearance, it seems like with the beam directly on the saddle/footing, it would be perfect so I can't use any post.

But the issue is that the footings were not laser level or anything so one can be a few inches too low or too high so shims would not work. I can't think of any way for adjustment.

My solution is to still use posts, however with the beams bolted to the side of the 6x6 instead of on the top, I 've read few sites where they said side connection is not good because all the forces would be on the bolt. However this way it allows me to adjust for beam levelling, once I bolt on the beams on the posts, if there is any gap between the concrete footing and the beam, i can put in some support between the beam and the concrete footing for force transfer. If it's resting on the side of the footing then it's perfect as all the force would be transfer to the concrete footing and be supported by the bolts at the same time.

Because my deck is so low, in my area, a permit is not required. I guess the government isn't too concern for deck this low because even a footing fails or structure fails, it wouldn't come crashing since the beams are just inches from the ground. But all my beam and joist sizes, spacing are done per standard code. Just need to figure out this footing to beam connection

Any suggestions, please advise and thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-16, 04:50 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Really should be building a patio, not a deck in your case for several reasons.
A deck that low to the ground has no air flow under it so the decking can not dry out.
Any deck, stoop, patio, grade needs to be below any door opening or there will be damage to the inside of the home.
There will be water damage to that wall on the right in the last picture caused from the splash back, the decking would need to be about 6" below that area to prevent it from happening.

Old 07-18-16, 05:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sorry you've already started the deck because, as Joe said, this should have been a patio.

Old 07-18-16, 06:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
You mentioned that a permit is not required for your deck. You did not say where you are located but I would double check your zoning and building codes to confirm for certain that a permit is not required. It is common for a low deck to not require a railing or steps which can get you away from many parts of the code but the codes for basic deck construction would still apply.

You had footers poured without any planning for the elevations. Now your talking about bolting your beams to the side of your posts. Then you mention adding "some support" under your beam down to the footer. None of that is good to hear. At some point you might consider pulling the rip cord before any more money is spent.

Old 07-18-16, 08:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The city says any uncovered deck under 2ft tall does not require permit. I'm in Markham, Canada. The guy who planned the footing he is a deck builder and a fence guy. I'm going to call him and ask for advice. He should have told me about the height restriction. My neighbor has a beautiful low to the ground deck, like a foot off the ground. Putting beam directly on the footing is ok per code and with decking on, I'm still below that horizontal strip of stone at the bottom of the patio.

Old 07-19-16, 04:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Yes, a deck can be built that low to the ground. It's not good for the wood of the deck but it can be done. The trouble is that most 2"x treated lumber is NOT treated for ground contact. With the deck so close to the ground there is little airflow to allow the area under the deck to dry so the wood remains wet, decreasing it's lifespan.

I see brackets on top of your footers. What type are they? Are they removable or are they cast into the footer?