building a pavilion

Old 07-25-16, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
building a pavilion

Howdy all. I am planning to build a pavilion on my back concrete patio. 6 inch concrete depth. The post will be 6 x 6. The sides of the pavilion will approx. 17.5 feet. and the front and back about 14 feet. Can I use two 2 x 6 beams bolted together for the sides and front/back? I can put braces at the corners to decrease the length the beams would be without support. I plan to use a tin roof. 4 x4 post that goes up to hold the top beam running in the center. The top beam will be a 2 x 6. Any suggestions, info would be great.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-16, 12:17 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Pavilion

You will need center posts on the 17.5 foot dimension. 2x6 beams do not seem like enough. The contractors will be along shortly.

Old 07-25-16, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 271 Posts
The first step should be to contact your local Building Inspections and Zoning departments. Permits may be required for a structure of that size, especially if it's "permanent".

Old 07-27-16, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you think 3 post on one side and 2 on the other would prevent sag? The opening on one side goes to another patio.thanks

Old 07-27-16, 06:04 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
I can't see LA letting you build anything they can't tax, so check before you start. Inspectors get ugly when you try to avoid the proper process.

Google "building plans for a pavilion pictures" lots of images to sort through and may be some actual plans.

IMO, 4x4's sound a bit small and being just a roof presents a wind load issue. You don't want that nice project to end up in someone else's yard.

Permit and approved plans first.

Bud